A/c Smoke Smell And Noise In Outdoor Air Mode

Hi All,

I own a 2007 Lexus GS350 RWD.

Please I have an issue which I need urgent help.

Currently, smell such as smoke, gas etc enter my car even when the A/C (Air Conditioning) is in recirculation mode. I thought a new cabin air filter will fix this and that made me buy the Carbon Impregnated Cabin Air Filter (Deodorant Filter) from Lexus Sewell Parts. However, after installing the new cabin air filter the smell such as smoke etc still find their way into the cabin when the A/C is in recirculation mode. In addition, each time my A/C goes into outdoor air mode, there is some noise that I hear around the passenger glovebox area. The noise stays for few minutes and stops. Please I need your help on what to do.

Thanks so much in advance.

follow the instructions in your owners manual to open and view the insert area of the cabin filter.

With the car running, and the glove box open so you can see the filter area, cycle the AC system between recirc and fresh air.

Visually make sure that the door securely closes and seals off the filter area. This door is easily broken.

The noise you hear may be the mechanism trying to close or open that door but not being able to.

When in recirc mode, the door should be open, when in fresh air mode the door should be closed. If you constantly smell outside air, maybe the door is stuck closed.

steviej

follow the instructions in your owners manual to open and view the insert area of the cabin filter.

With the car running, and the glove box open so you can see the filter area, cycle the AC system between recirc and fresh air.

Visually make sure that the door securely closes and seals off the filter area. This door is easily broken.

The noise you hear may be the mechanism trying to close or open that door but not being able to.

When in recirc mode, the door should be open, when in fresh air mode the door should be closed. If you constantly smell outside air, maybe the door is stuck closed.

steviej

Thanks Steviej, I will try what you have suggested and revert.

Hi,

I carried out your instruction but noticed that when I switch from recirc to fresh air, the door covering the cabin air filter does not move. If I keep the door in open position, it remains like that irrespective of whether I switch from recirc to fresh air mode. If I keep the door closed it also remains same irrespective of whether I switch from recirc to fresh air mode and vice versa.

Also, I removed the cabin air filter and noticed that I still hear the "ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka" noise when the A/C is in fresh air mode.

Moreover, the smell of exhaust fumes from other vehicles still find its way to the cabin even when the A/C is in recirc mode.

Please I need your help to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

the mechanism that opens and closes the door is most likely broken.

Common problem with the GS especially if someone tried to force the door open to get at and change the cabin filter.

If the car is under warranty, shouldn't be a problem to get it fixed, but be prepared that the dealer may refuse if they were not the ones to change the filter.

IF the car is out of warranty, sit down, it is about a grand to fix according to posts from other members.

steviej

Please is there anything I can do (and also how I can achieve it) to stop the air from gasping into the cabin during recirculation. I wouldn't mind blocking the entrance for the exhaust fumes and outside air and keeping it permanently in recirculation mode. Spending over $1000 is too much to fix the a/c filter damper door.

Was able to get a technician who placed the door to the filter in recirculation mode and used a screw (close to the door hinge) to hold it in place permanently. I have test driven the car and the air doesn't gasp in any longer, exhaust fumes are gone. I am happy that I won't spend over one grand to fix this.