Looking At 2004 Ls430

beepclick

Hello everyone, I just joined this evening. I currently have an '01 ES300 w/62k and a '93 LS w/165k. I am giving the '93 LS to my nephew in January. I like the ES, it was my parents, but there's something under the drivers seat that hits my bottom and makes long drives uncomfortable. I prefer the size and drive of the LS's. Today I looked at a 2004 LS430. The owner bought it from a non-Lexus dealer in Apr '09, at which point he had the local Lexus dealer perform the 30K scheduled maintenance to the tune of $1300. The car had 37,000 miles when he bought it, and now it has 44,000 miles. For options, it only has the 1st option package with Mark Levinson stereo, navigation, heated rear seats. None of the upper echelon options like headlamp washers, heated/cooled rear seats w/massage, and so on. It drives very nicely, then engine is quiet, smooth and powerful (290hp, 320 ft/pds torgue). He is asking $23,000 and seems quite firm on that. When we met today, he had several printouts showing the dealer price at $26,000.

I'm tempted to buy it, but 23k is a chunk of change (I have no income, living on savings). For $10,000 less I could get a mid-late 90's LS.

I would probably sell the ES, or keep it for a winter car with the FWD.

Oh, and I found a 2002 112k, black on black, for $13,500. Haven't seen it in person. I'm familiar with the seller, he buys luxury cars from other dealers or auction and sells them under dealer price but above private-party price.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on whether a 2004 with such low miles is worth it over a higher-mileage '97 or something. Thanks.

Welcome beepclick! :cheers:

I don't know if you are asking for car advice or financial advice or a little of both. So....you get the "fatherly" advice talk. :lol: ;)

The 04 LS sounds nice but perhaps a little salty. However all of that is a moot point if you have no income and are living on savings. I recommend driving the ES300 (sounds nice enough) until you can afford a newer LS. They (nice LS's) will still be there when the economy recovers and you can again find employment.

Dedicated Member:

Thanks for the welcome and the 'fatherly' advice. The $23000 isn't that big a hit for me. However, you're absolutely right that the ES is nice enough, and I can drive the 93 LS for at least a couple more months, and there will still be LS's to be found then. Personally, I'm not holding my breath on the economy.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath on the economy.

All the more reasons not to spend $23,000 needlessly when you are without income.

The LS is a great car...but eating, heat, and shelter are great things too...

You're in a big enough city that there will be plenty of LS430's coming to the resell market the coming few years. I see 5-6 new ones every week in Chicagoland. Many people get crazy about the 90k mile service so get rid of them just before. This represents a buying opportunity. As for financial advice that's up to you. If you don't need to work anymore then you must be set and can do whatever you want. Have fun. If you need to work again then I'd have to wonder why this is a priority ahead of finding a job.

Wait for a better deal on a newer LS430.

Just be patient and keep your eyes and ears open.

I assure you there are much better deals to be found.

Newer car, less miles, fewer $.

Wait.

I did; and found a 2005 with 13.8k on the clock. Garaged, perfect. I paid $25K.

Someone else here shortly after my purchase found an even better deal.

Wait.