Puff Of Smoke

AlmightyLexus

The web has a lot of info about what different colors of exhaust smoke can mean (blue/black v. white, etc.). Do a search and do some reading. Persistant white smoke (they say) is a 'classic' symptom of head gasket problems, but can also mean other things. If the smoke is coupled with valve clatter, maybe fuel injection timing is off? What I try to do is read up as much as possible, so that even though I still need to consult with a mechanic, I'll have a better understanding of the issues and can make informed decisions when authorizing repairs. You will need a diagnosis from a trained mechanic! If the smoke is persistent, don't put off remedying the situation!!

Also, if it's just a puff of smoke at start-up, that could be normal condensation and nothing to worry about. But if it 'lasts' then engine coolant could be leaking into the engine, etc...and you would need to have that checked out.

wassup fellas...after having my 91 Lex LS400 sit up for, i'll say, four day it blows out a puff of smoke?  what do you all think the problem is?  also, what is valve clatter?

I'll bet your power steering fluid is disappearing too. If so the smoke is the PS fluid being sucked from the pump.

Search the forum for a fix. I just disconnected and plugged the vacuum line from the pump.

I'll bet your power steering fluid is disappearing too. If so the smoke is the PS fluid being sucked from the pump.

Search the forum for a fix. I just disconnected and plugged the vacuum line from the pump.

I agree with you Jetpilot :D

That's a classic PS pressure valve malfunction....