Using Spare On 07 Es350

51desoto

After only 24000 miles my Michelin MXV4 S8 front tires are almost to the wear bars. I last had them rotated at 14000. I have never had tires wear so fast. I asked the dealer about buying one tire from them and putting on my spare, so that I would have two new tires on the front. The service writer told me they would charge me about $70 extra to set the computer so that the car knew that I had a new tire from the trunk. I know they have monitoring systems, but this sounds like BS to me. I was going to buy one tire from them and use the new spare. Anyone else have this issue?

I think the idea is to initialize the TPMS sensor on the spare. Does anybody know if the TPMS system also monitors the spare?

I remember seeing threads about low air pressure in the spare causing the tire pressure warning light to turn on. The 2008 Owners manual describes this in section 5-2 Steps to take in an Emergency.

The TPMS is one of my few disappointments with our 2008 ES. The system does not display tire location and pressure even though it has the information. My other 2 vehicles (Corvette & Silverado) both display tire pressure and location.

John

not sure if it needs to be initialised or not--when i had my spare on and shopped for tires my lite stayed on, but i used it as a reminder to get on the ball and make the decision fast...

If the system monitors the spare, then there should be absolutely no programming needed if you run the spare as a new wheel on the car. If not, then it will have to be re-initialized and the dealer's gonna charge you for that...

If the system monitors the spare, then there should be absolutely no programming needed if you run the spare as a new wheel on the car. If not, then it will have to be re-initialized and the dealer's gonna charge you for that...

Yes. The system in all the ES350's with a full size spare monitors ALL 5 tires.

Then there shouldn't be any setup required since it doesn't specify pressures per tire.

Actually, the only time I had the light illuminate on the dashboard was after I owned my car for a few years.

Up until that time I didn't bother to check the spare tire inflation.

Sure enough, when I inflated the spare tire, the dashboard light went out.

It works this way.......if 1 tire inflation is lower, by a certain percentage than the others, it'll trigger the dashboard light.