Snow Tire Safety

edelson

The ES300 user's guide suggests that tires installed on the Lexus be no more than one speed grade below the "V" rated tires supplied with the car. Yesterday a tire salesperson talked my wife out of purchasing "Q" rated Blizzaks by telling her that she should not go more than 65 mph with these tires on the car otherwise she stood a good chance of a blowout (this despite the Q rating of 99 mph). As a result she will only consider "H" rated snow tires now.

Is it unsafe to put "Q" rated snow tires on an ES300 and go above 65 mph? [Note that Lexus advises never to go above 75 mph on any snow tire.]

• 4 weeks later...

This for the most part is correct. If you think about it, we usually drive slower in the bad winter weather anyways so it's not necessary to have a "V" rated snow tire. I'd try to go with an "H" rated snow tire however as I don't see why if it's cold & dry out why a snow tire can handle 75 mph.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I have my doubts if they will explode. I can understand a high level of wear, and at the worst case it just destabilizing or getting unbalanced, but not explode.

I've driven my winter tires at 80-100mph, and it didn't do anything. If I was to recommend, get a good tire set from Michelin or Perelli. Even Bridgestones will survive.

Looks like this post started exactly two months ago and winter is about over but here is my opinion. Last Sunday I took my Blizzaks and winter wheels off. Blizzaks are the most incredible snow tires I have ever used -- and I have always used snow tires on all four positions in winter. Blizzacks are "real" snow tires - not just glorified all-season tires - with a significant gap between the tire "lugs". What this means is less "rubber on the road" and less traction on dry or wet roads. The idea of slightly higher speeds causing blowouts seems a bit silly. However, I doubt that it is particularly safe to drive on Blizzaks at high speeds. But, gosh, are they ever incredible in the snow.