Negotiate Certified Pre-Owned Lexus

snkblls

Hi All,

I'm new to buying Lexus. I'm shopping for a ES and is wondering if anyone here have tips on negotiating with the dealer on Certified Preowned 2008. How much negotiation room is there usually? If the car has a value or retails for $33,000, where should I start the negotiation ... Will the dealer throw me out the door if I start the talk at $29,000?

Thanks.

Nothing is out of line when negotiating, as long as you are realistic. By that I mean you have to have an idea of what that car is selling for in your market area, and stay within a reasonable range.

Go online to autotrader.com or similar, and do some research for that model, option level, and mileage. Keep in mind, that the dealer usually pumps the price up to leave room for taking in a trade. If you don't have a trade, you can safely cut your offer by a $1000 or more, depending on what and how nice your trade is. There are a lot of factors to consider.

It sometimes comes down to how hungry the dealer is, and just how nice the car you're considering is. He may just have a very desirable combination that he's not going to dicker on, because he knows that it'll sell.

It may come down to just how badly you want the car, and whether you are willing to give him what he wants in order to get it. My advice is to do your homework, figure out your financing direction, make an offer and then consider his counter offer. At that point you'll have to decide how firm you're going to be.

Just remember that there are a lot of fish in the sea, and lot of 2008 ES350's are sitting on lots in your state or states nearby. If this one escapes, there are many others out there if you bide your time. That is, if you have the time to wait until the right car and deal comes along. Good luck!

Nothing is out of line when negotiating, as long as you are realistic. By that I mean you have to have an idea of what that car is selling for in your market area, and stay within a reasonable range.

Go online to autotrader.com or similar, and do some research for that model, option level, and mileage. Keep in mind, that the dealer usually pumps the price up to leave room for taking in a trade. If you don't have a trade, you can safely cut your offer by a $1000 or more, depending on what and how nice your trade is. There are a lot of factors to consider.

It sometimes comes down to how hungry the dealer is, and just how nice the car you're considering is. He may just have a very desirable combination that he's not going to dicker on, because he knows that it'll sell.

It may come down to just how badly you want the car, and whether you are willing to give him what he wants in order to get it. My advice is to do your homework, figure out your financing direction, make an offer and then consider his counter offer. At that point you'll have to decide how firm you're going to be.

Just remember that there are a lot of fish in the sea, and lot of 2008 ES350's are sitting on lots in your state or states nearby. If this one escapes, there are many others out there if you bide your time. That is, if you have the time to wait until the right car and deal comes along. Good luck!

Just an added note, a rule of thumb for most dealers is $1,000 to get the car ready for certification. You can choose not to take the certification and reduce your sale price by the $1,000.

$33,000 for a 2008? I paid $36.000 for my brand new 2010.

I wouldn't pay anything with a "3" in front of it for that car...

Totally agree!! My 2010 is two months old and I paid just a shade under $36,000. You can never insult a salesman...I've been one..