Rust Prone Spots In The Salt Belt

turboomni

Where are the areas to watch for rust on specifically 1997 era LS 400's?

I know to keep the drains on the bottom of the doors clean and I actually have on other cars spray WD 40 on a regular basis and never had rusted out doors. I am worried about the plastic fender trim that are screwed to the rear fender . Should i remove and clean or oil this area? Inner rear fenders a rust problem on this car ,or anywhere else? My car is rust free and I want to keep it that way. Any info would be great.

Thanks

I always remove the black plastic fender trims after the winter and clean them,I apply a thick layer of wax polish to the fender area then refit the trims,it's an easy job using a short crosshead screwdriver and you don't even have to remove the wheels normally.

I also use a power washer to remove all the road salt from the car after winter and use a local car wash ( the only time I do) which does an under body wash to clean all the crud off the chassis.

Bearing in mind I'm in the UK where road salt is the norm I have no body rust anywhere with a 16 year old car.

Thanks for the reply and the link guys.

I was suspecting underneath the rear wheel well plastic would be prime areas for rust. S I will takle that first. As of now there is no visible rust and I would like to keep it that way.

I bought my 97 at a Lexus dealership as a buddy was a salesman there. The car was going off to auction but they let me buy it,all lexus serviced with all documentation. But another benefit is I can have it hand washed there as many times as I want for free. So I hope that will help too here in the North East salt belt. Hell if I get there just before noon they provide a free lunch !!!LOL!

I was suspecting underneath the rear wheel well plastic would be prime areas for rust. S I will takle that first. As of now there is no visible rust and I would like to keep it that way.

I bought my 97 at a Lexus dealership as a buddy was a salesman there. The car was going off to auction but they let me buy it,all lexus serviced with all documentation. But another benefit is I can have it hand washed there as many times as I want for free. So I hope that will help too here in the North East salt belt. Hell if I get there just before noon they provide a free lunch !!!LOL!

Hand wash for free? Wow. The under body wash is very important. And a free lunch? Beware. No such thing. :whistles: ;)

Hand wash for free? Wow. The under body wash is very important. And a free lunch? Beware. No such thing. :whistles: ;)

Lol..yes I know there's no such thing. Funny thing is I see all these very rich people going for the free food just like us poorer folk do.

Then drive off with a free lunch in their gut in a brand new Lexus.!!!