Installing Nav Dvd Update

K.C. Dia

How difficult is it to install the undate Nav DVDupdate in a 2010 Lexus ES350. I have seen a post that the DVD is installed in a slot behind the wooden plate with the "LEXUS" name on it thats is just below the bottom of the screen. I was under the impression that you just push up on the wooden plate and it comes off easily. However, nothing seems to happen when I push up on it and I don't want to force anything. Am I doing something wrong?

How difficult is it to install the undate Nav DVDupdate in a 2010 Lexus ES350. I have seen a post that the DVD is installed in a slot behind the wooden plate with the "LEXUS" name on it thats is just below the bottom of the screen. I was under the impression that you just push up on the wooden plate and it comes off easily. However, nothing seems to happen when I push up on it and I don't want to force anything. Am I doing something wrong?

That was my understanding as well, but frankly I've been scared to try it for fear of !Removed! up the wood or screen. ( I'm good at !Removed! up things.) I just got my ES in August, are you saying there is an GPS update already?

Paul

That was my understanding as well, but frankly I've been scared to try it for fear of !Removed! up the wood or screen. ( I'm good at !Removed! up things.) I just got my ES in August, are you saying there is an GPS update already?

Paul

My dealer says that version 10.1 is out but it costs about $200 plus about the same to install. I have version 9.1 and would be interested in upgrading if more coverage was available for Mississippi and West Tennessee. The present coverage for 9.1 is not very good once you get out of the larger cities. However, I hesitate to spend $400. If you bought yours in August, you may have 10.1. Check and see what version you have.

Paul

My dealer says that version 10.1 is out but it costs about $200 plus about the same to install. I have version 9.1 and would be interested in upgrading if more coverage was available for Mississippi and West Tennessee. The present coverage for 9.1 is not very good once you get out of the larger cities. However, I hesitate to spend $400. If you bought yours in August, you may have 10.1. Check and see what version you have.

Perhaps I misread the Navigation manual, but in the 2010 model, the Nav system is a hard-drive based system is it not? I didn't think it was running off a DVD...

I have looked through both the navigation guide and the owners guide of my 2010 ES and just can't find any reference as to wether the nav is DVD or hard drive generated. Can you give me an idea as to were to look?

I did find a section on update intervals and how to go about arrangeing with your dealer to get them. It is in the nav manual on page 380...it says that updates are done once a year.

Paul

I am due for my 30K checkup next week and talked with the service advisor about the update. He said that it was not worth the money to update as the differences between 9.1 and 10.1 were very minor and to wait for one or two more years to update. At least he was honest. This time they quoted a price of a little over $350 for the update, including labor. I will wait.

I have looked through both the navigation guide and the owners guide of my 2010 ES and just can't find any reference as to wether the nav is DVD or hard drive generated. Can you give me an idea as to were to look?

I did find a section on update intervals and how to go about arrangeing with your dealer to get them. It is in the nav manual on page 380...it says that updates are done once a year.

Paul

It never says the Nav system is a HDD system (I thought I'd read it...guess I saw it somewhere else); however, on page 381 where they illustrate the steps to update the Map Info, the screen title on the page (and on your car probably) says "HDD Update"; mine says that on the car as well, with the 10.1 version number... as a sidenote, the salesperson also did mention when I was test driving that the 2010 has a HDD system so that you didn't need to order an update disc.

Paul

It never says the Nav system is a HDD system (I thought I'd read it...guess I saw it somewhere else); however, on page 381 where they illustrate the steps to update the Map Info, the screen title on the page (and on your car probably) says "HDD Update"; mine says that on the car as well, with the 10.1 version number... as a sidenote, the salesperson also did mention when I was test driving that the 2010 has a HDD system so that you didn't need to order an update disc.

I'm confused then, how do you update from 9.1 to 10.1? Does the dealer do it or can you do it yourself?

The system is HDD, not a DVD system. Its updated with a computer uplink.

So, in other words you have to bring your car to a Lexus dealer to do this update? If so, that means you have to spend FULL price!!! :whistles:

No, I believe it comes on a thumb drive or something else, because you can order it on the internet...

Plugs into the USB input in the console.

Do you have a address for the internet site for ordering and what the item is called?

I was looking around on Sewell's site www.sewellparts.com, don't see the update for the HDD cars...maybe you can't order it online...

I did get a letter from Lexus included in my LFS statement last month offering the update for $199.

The system is HDD, not a DVD system. Its updated with a computer uplink.

Your navigation uses "flash drive" type and need security code. Only dealer can do this.

Thats a bummer...

Oh well...at least the upgrade is only $199...$100 less than the old DVDs...

The DVD is the exact same price as the upgrade used in your car at the Lexus dealer. The price was dropped for the DVD a while ago. :)

I knew I had seen it!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/interior/ES350-2010/4467.html

This is the update, $199. It comes on a USB stick and can be done yourself at home...

So, then what does this mean: "2010CY Lexus Hard Drive Navigation Update - Dealership installation only - Designed as a one-time use only."?

I figure you can buy it from Sewell, but you still have to take your car to your own Lexus dealer to do this install. :whistles:

Damn you and your attention to detail! I didn't even see that...

I'm going to send Darryl at Sewell an email and see if that really is the case or not, I remember the DVDs used to say dealership installation only as well...

My dealer in Memphis said to skip the upgrade from 9.1 to 10.1 as it was not worth it since the changes were minor. I have seen what the upgrade to 10.1 adds and my dealer is probably right. It looks like the upgrade only adds a total of 70 counties in the U.S. to full turn by turn navigation coverage. The only county added in Mississippi is Jackson County, which is in the extreme south and does me no good. Likewise, no additions in western Tennessee. Interestingly, Canada now appears to have complete turn by turn navigation coverage! Also, Park and Teton Counties were added to Wyoming, so now navigation is available in Yellowstone Park.