95 Es 300 Overheating Open To Sugg

lexdem

95 Lex Es 300, 1MZ eng, Unknown milage (title says odom discrep)

Had issue with hydraulic hose from pwr steering to radiator replaced $207.00 from lex dealer. now that the fan is opperable i overheat in the city, takes a bit on the highway to get up the temp. sounds to me like thermostat. am i wasting my time? open to any suggestions for diagnosis. i just want my baby to run like it should. thanx

95 Lex Es 300, 1MZ eng, Unknown milage (title says odom discrep)

Had issue with hydraulic hose from pwr steering to radiator replaced $207.00 from lex dealer. now that the fan is opperable i overheat in the city, takes a bit on the highway to get up the temp. sounds to me like thermostat. am i wasting my time? open to any suggestions for diagnosis. i just want my baby to run like it should. thanx

if need any more info just post ill respond. i will be watching this thread close.. i got took by a small dealer that sold me a lemon however i love this car and just want it to run with out problem.

Lex,

A little more info would be useful. How soon before fixing the hydralic line/cooling fan, did the overheating begin? Did it ever boil over? Have you verified that the fan is working now? Have you ck'd for loss of coolant? Have you replaced the rad cap (<$10). Have you replaced the radiator? (not sure if rodding the rad is an option....). Does it always overheat or just episodically?

Overheating in city/traffic, implies not enough cooling via the fan/radiator system. Less likely to be a tstat,which might be episodic, or if totally closed would happen every time the car warmed up. Usually when a tstat goes bad it remains open, and would lead to problems getting it hot in the winter. If the problem was a head gasket or cracked head or block, overheating would tend to occur when engine is under load such as high speed/hwy driving w/ rpms above 3500.

I can tell you, getting the tstat out of that engine is a major job, as it is buried almost beneath the intake manifold right next to cyl 6. Even after taking off the top (8 hrs minimum total, off and on), it was still difficult getting to the bottom of the tstat housing. I've never replaced the rad, but suspect it's not that difficult.

Hope this helps.

LL

thank you very much it does help... i was pretty sure it was the thermostat from the begining however im not a mechanic yet to diagnose.it started 2-3 days after replacing the hydraulic hose... it does overheat at low rpms in the city and is able to cool on the highway or rather i dont notice any change on high way driving but a great spike in the city... i have boiled over once because i took it 20 miles to a doctor appt on the way back i got steam and boilage i had to stop every mile and a half and put some cold water in... min coolant loss and rad cap and gasket appear operable... i personally have the time to do this project myself which is good for labor costs. but i have only owned this car for about a month and am not familiar with the import family yet. getting there with the help of this forum. you guys all kick !Removed!!

i am going to fix the thermostat next then water pump just cause the radiator and cap appear to be relatively new so i will leave them alone for now.

and i will move on to replace the head gaskets shortly as well... it cant hurt but i think it may be beneficial as i really dont know where the problem began or when for that matter.