'04 Ls 430 Steering Wheel Tilt Feature Not Working Properly

lexography

Hi,

I have a 2004 LS 430 with a tilt steering wheel feature that has operational issues. The telescopic function works fine. The tilt toogle on left side of the column will allow it to go down sometimes after it goes through a driver position selection from the door panel. However, when when the toggle button for tilt upward is employed there is a faint noise and nothing happens.

I have read through many threads regarding this and this one is the closest to explaining this tilt malfunction:

scroll down to #11 in the thread

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52146

this guy even took the time to include a few pictures!

After investigating this without opening up the steering column, I have concluded that the motor is still good. I think it could be a "e" clip that is tight or lubrication issue.

Bear in mind this is a 2004 LS 430 and it is a different system with a threaded rod system accessable underneath rather than the on the side of the column. Many helpful LOC responders may be familiar with the plastic gear which can be shimmed which is only a useful fix to prior Lexus model owners.

Can anyone let me know any first hand experience with the fix I am describing and useful things to know?

Thanks in advance.

It would appear this is becoming a common problem due to the motor failing.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response and the likelihood is that the motor is showing signs its six plus years of use.

Just wanted to see if any others have had experiences aside from this ie binding clips or otherwise before I open it up.

Thanks again.

Wow. Great U-tube video on the steering tilt gear fix. You are some innovator Steve. I would have never thought of using a zip tie as a spacer. No, I would have been at the hardware store buying washers. :rolleyes:

You sound like a "Yank" in the UK. Actually, do I detect a bit of a southern accent? What are you doing "over the pond"? :cheers:

• 8 years later...