Oil Change Help

hern

What oil brand / type would you recommend for a 1999 Lexus ES300. It's has 67,500 mi, and I would like to put in synthetic, but I do not know if I need a special filter for that or if I can just get a regular filter from Autozone. Help please =)

Also is it pretty easy to change the oil on the lexus? On my old pontiac grand am it was a sinch, but I have not looked for the filter and screw to drain the oil yet on my lexus.

hern, it is a piece of cake, but fair warning: the oil filter is just under the exhaust manifold in the front of the engine. You get to it by standing in front of the car, not by going under the car. Wear a long sleeved shirt so as not to get burned when removing the old one. You will need to become a very digit maneuverable mechanic to be able to upright the filter and then withdraw it from between the engine block and the back of the radiator and out from under the manifold. You just have to do it once and you will become a pro. The filter is mounted at a down angle so you will get spillage when removing the old one. There should be a plate mounted just below the filter that directs the spillage to a trickle, place your catch basin under that point.

The previous Toyota OEM were very good but Toyo/Lexus switched manufacturers in Dec. 2003. Their filters are now made in Thailand and the jury is still out as to whether the quality of the now offered "D" filters are comprable to that of the previously offered "B" filters.

Mobil 1 filter is M1-102 and is excellent as well. I am going to try the K&N Gold oil filter next. The K&N oil filter has a molded nut in the case. This will make removal and replacement less hectic.

good luck,

steviej

You guys are awesome. It took me a good hour and a half to figure out how to get the filter off and to drain my oil. Maybe because I'm weak I dont know. I feel for you guys trying to get that filter off there is like no room for the tools. Well thanks again guys now I can change my oil whenever I want =)