245/55/17 Or 245/65/17?

Mr RX 330

I'd like some bigger tires on my RX 330. I know the bigger size is going to affect the speedo, but I'm not all that concerned with it. The look of the stock 235/55/17 seems too small for the vehicle, and at the moment I don't really have the funds to go all out for some 20" rims and tires.

Right now I'm looking to purchase some all terrain tires. Given that winter's upon us, and I actually need summer tires as well, I figured I'll kill two birds with one stone and get some all terrain tires instead of springing for 2 sets of tires.

A friend of mine recommended I do this, and it makes sense, as a good set of AT tires will be ok in the winter.

So, I'm thinking either 245/55/17 or 245/65/17. Which would be the better size to go with? I'd like to fill up the space a bit, but I don't want it to look ridiculous.

If you're springing for two sets of tires, I'd suggest dedicated winter tires (not an AT tire) and a summer or all season tire. Are you sure your stock tire is not 235/55/18 (you put 17 in your post). Check here http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html or here http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp to see what different tires sized will work for you. If you in fact have 235/55/18, I know RXREY runs 255/55/18 with no trouble.

Thanks for catching that, yes you're right they're 18s.. dunno why I got it stuck in my head they're 17".

The issue is I can't really afford two sets of tires, and to have the switched back and forth between seasons. Because I'm short on funds, I've been considering just getting AT tires that perform well in winter. So far I'm having a difficult time sorting through all the various reviews and recommendations. So many contradicting opinions out there, it's hard to determine what's best to go with.

255/55/18 sounds good, how does it look? Does he have any pics up?

Are there any AT tires at all that perform well in the winter, or is this wishful thinking?