Please Help....!

Okay...I have a 2000 GS300 with 48,000.(Yes, we almost never drive it) Here's my scenario.....When I'm stopped at a light or and I get this vibrating noise coming from the front somewhere. It sounds like it could be behind the dash or in the engine compartment.

Here is where I get thrown for a loop. This only happens when the car is in DRIVE and the brake is applied and I'm stopped. If I throw it into PARK, the noise goes away immediately. If I let off the brake, it goes away. I haven't tried the other gears yet or reverse, but I am going to try those as well.

Any ideas? I thought it may be a vacuum or something, but I really have no clue.

Any ideas? I thought it may be a vacuum or something, but I really have no clue.

Why not put somebody (you trust) behind the wheel (with gearbox on D) and you will open the bonnet and check what is making this noise? If you won't hear anything it might mean it's something behind the dash or this vibration is caused by damaged engine/gearbox mount (those rubber ones).

• 2 weeks later...

Well the fact of the matter is you are driving a 10 year old car… Mind you that mileage is unheard of, wow. And of course, the loop you speak of is actually quite normal… Things that may not normally rattle or anything in your scenario. Reason – you’re standing there with your engine with a load on it in the idle position, as opposed to in park, or while driving. As you car gets older this position is handled with less grace.

Can’t really provide any insight as to what in particular it can be though, you’re just going to have to go through the old trouble shoot…