Is250 "power Mode" Vs Is350

I have been looking for a low-mileage IS 350 for the past 6 months, and have been unable to find one. I spoke to my local dealer about the IS350 and availability. He said only 1 in 5 IS models he gets are the 350, so they are hard to come by, and that's why used ones are so rare. He also said driving the IS250 in something called the "power mode" is very close. (Of course, he had no IS350's on the lot.) I can't see how simply pushing a button can make a car w/204 hp drive like a car with 306 hp. It would be great if that really worked, as 250's are plentiful here and about 5 grand less.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks.

You're right, the magical "power mode" button does not add 102 HP. I believe your salesman was invoking the "say anything to close a sale" technique. In my oppinion the button simply makes the accelerator more sensitive (among other things like higher shift points, etc).

I would say drive the 250 and see if it meets your needs. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then hold out for a 350. It sounds like you've already made up your mind as to what you want. Don't settle for something you don't.

If you've got some time to kill, go to the Lexus dealer and test drive a new 350. That will give you something to compare to the used 250's.

Good luck.

Uh, no. The PWR mode does nothing but change some shift points, the 350 is WAY quicker than the 250, PWR mode or not. He's just trying to sell you a 250 because thats what he has to sell you.

• 4 months later...

Doesn't anyone actually read things any more? LOL!! E-lectronically C-ontrolled T-ransmission has a "power" setting that moves some shift points from "fuel economy" priority to a "Power" priority for a more spirited feeling of acceleration. The motor still only makes the same amount of HP. and I don't believe the car is actually any faster. I could be wrong there. though. I know in my 350 when I go into the power setting on the transmission it just changes the attitude of the transmission so to speak. For example when I throttle through the gears and then let off it will hold the gears and give me a chance to downshift myself, or hold that rpm thru the corner and shift hard coming out and and staying right in the power band longer for some great exits. (This car does that very ,very well I might add.) LOL!!

I have a 250 and really like it. I came from a Mini Cooper, and before that a Dodge Ram pickup, so this 250 has TONS of power for me. However, while my car was at the dealer (for a week and a half!) I had a loaner. It was an ES350. Even with the front wheel drive (which I discovered I hate), it was clear the 350 has MUCH more power and quickness. If power really matters to you, don't get the 250. Power mode doesn't do much other than make it feel sportier.

• 8 years later...

From personal experience with a 2012 IS350, PWR mode increased pedal response, and weights up the steering. I believe It also changes the transmission tuning, although I am not 100% certain.

Also yes, I am aware that I am 10 years late.