Help I Have No Clue Tune Up?

Melgs300

Hi everyone work with me as I know nothing about cars but need some honest answers. I have a 2000 gs300 with about 100k I have been neglecting it some other then changing the oil and air filter at 3k new tires, roater? and brakes which I feel i got ripped on that too. I have not really done anything else. (yes I know typical girl) The check engine light has been on for quite sometime and it starting to run a tad bit rough like not as powerful. I was going some research online and I guess i need to get a tune up. I called a couple of places and all they say is pay 75.00 for a diagnostic test then the tune up which is only to change the spark plugs is 200 and to clean the fuel injectors? is another 70.00 so far in it for 300 and they tell me if i do this it may not fix the check engine light problem and it running rough. So I ask is this normal pricing? What ideas does anyone have? I just need honest answers I'm a single chick with not much family and dont feel like getting ripped off again from a place knowing i have no clue about what there trying to sell me. Thanks a bunch I'm so ready to say screw it and buy a new car lol

Yep, you're walking right into a scam. Why? Because that "dianostic fee" should be for the computer code reader to tell the mechanic why the light is on (telling him exactly what is wrong). Go to any autozone type store and ask them to check this code for FREE! The connector panel is under the sterring wheel, left side. Get the code, and post it up here for a translation of what you need. DO NOT take it to that mechic yet!

Yep, you're walking right into a scam. Why? Because that "dianostic fee" should be for the computer code reader to tell the mechanic why the light is on (telling him exactly what is wrong). Go to any autozone type store and ask them to check this code for FREE! The connector panel is under the sterring wheel, left side. Get the code, and post it up here for a translation of what you need. DO NOT take it to that mechic yet!

X2

or

Find another mechanic...