White Dust - What Is This? (Picture Attached)

Hey everyone,

Anybody experienced the white dust on the dash board like this picture?

I've heard stories about Hondas and white dust but not Toyota/Lexus. Could it be the cabin air filter?

I have a 2007 RX350

Thanks for your help!

wss4za.jpg

I thought there was a recall on the RX400 for white dust being caused by the evaporator core under the dash, maybe the RX350 also had this problem....I would do a search of TSB's and call your local Lexus dealership....

see this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63537

There isn't a recall on this but Lexus/Toyota knows all about it. They will replace the evaporator core (i believe) because there is a coating on it that is flaking off and blowing through your entire car.

Demand they do a full detail of the inside of the vehicle including carpet shampooing and cleaning out all your air vents. I had major breathing problems from this dust that completely disapearred once Lexus made the fix and cleaned the vehicle but they wouldn't take responsibility for any of my medical bills.

Also make sure they change the cabin filter as it will more than likely be full of the white dust.

• 1 month later...

Well,

after reading other threads about the same problem. It seemed to be the evaporator core... For them, it was replaced under warranty and they had to remove the dash in order to reach the part. After the "faulty" part was changed, they either had:

- paid a lot for this

- the same problem afterwards

- dents in their dash

- bad dash alignment

- bad dealer experiences about this issue

Thinking about it... I'm just gonna live with it and clean my dash on a regular basis. There's no way I'm going to pay big bucks to end up like those guys.

Thanks for your advices guys

You shouldn't have to pay to have this done, even if you're out of warranty. It's aTSB, so whether you're under warranty or not shoulnt matter. Just mention that you're having breathing problems and they should be able to good will it.

I had it done to my Rx400h last March. They did mess up the car pretty bad, scratching my nav screen, radio and a few dash parts. BUT, they did end up replacing everything, it just took some time.

Just take very detailed pics before you drop it off, and make it known that you want them to be careful. In my case, it was clear that they just rushed it... If they took their time there wouldn't have been any issues.

I would definitely have them replace the evap core. The problem will only get worse! They will replace it with a modified evap core that will never flake again...

From what I understand, TSBs are free of charge within the warranty period. After that, it's a crap shoot. I guess if you're on good terms with your dealer they 'might' do it free of charge, but they are under no obligation to perform a TSB once out of warranty. A RECALL is an entirely different story.

I had them replace the heater core only to have the problem happen again with the replacement. It's driving me crazy as it only happens when I use the heat. When they replaced it the first time, they poked a hole in my glove box and scratched up the inside of the support beams next to the windshield. Then I noticed the dash was rattling so I took it back and had that fixed. But, then they broke my vent and I had to have that fixed. It's just been one thing after the other with this car. But, I can't complain really: I got a great extended warranty buying it as a CPO from the dealership, I get good gas mileage for an SUV, and I do enjoy driving it.

If the problem gets worse, I'll see what the dealer says but I'm leery of getting the core replaced again since they have to take out the entire dash and I wasted a lot of my personal time driving back and forth to the dealership, which happens to be 45 mins away!

I had them replace the heater core only to have the problem happen again with the replacement. It's driving me crazy as it only happens when I use the heat. When they replaced it the first time, they poked a hole in my glove box and scratched up the inside of the support beams next to the windshield. Then I noticed the dash was rattling so I took it back and had that fixed. But, then they broke my vent and I had to have that fixed. It's just been one thing after the other with this car. But, I can't complain really: I got a great extended warranty buying it as a CPO from the dealership, I get good gas mileage for an SUV, and I do enjoy driving it.

If the problem gets worse, I'll see what the dealer says but I'm leery of getting the core replaced again since they have to take out the entire dash and I wasted a lot of my personal time driving back and forth to the dealership, which happens to be 45 mins away!

Did they tell you the part number of the replacement part?

No, they did not tell me the part number. Why do you ask?

They may have replaced the evap core with an identical unit, one that would flake just as the first. They're supposed to replace it with a newly designed one, one that shouldn't flake.

I still have the paperwork from when they replaced mine. The TSB number is L-SB-0032-08. The replacement core number is: 88501-48171.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies,

I didn't get it done because the dealer said the car was out of warranty and they couldn't care less about it (he did not say it that way but that was the gist of it).

i just have to clean the car more often, which is not a big deal for now. I'm lucky enough not to have any breathing problem so far.

thanks for the answers guys!

simon