"shift To "p" Update...

I just got back from Lexus and sure enough, as some of you already know, when your car doesn't start and the display reads, "Shift to "P" to Start". and it's obvious that you are in PARK, you need a new 12V battery. I opted to let Lexus do it so I paid the premium,$170 + Tax, but if you see this, you can go to somewhere and get a new 12V put in. Rey in LA...

Oh, and yes, like "Katzjmr" mentions below....be sure that the battery needs replacing...mine was 5 years old and it was confirmed that mine was gone.

To be clear, you can also get the 'shift to P to start' message with a good battery that has been run down by listening to the radio with the engine off. Any time you fall below i think its 9 volts at the battery this will happen. In this case with a healthy battery just a jump start will get you going. I just want to mention this because this battery has so little reserve, it can happen at any time even with a good battery. Sometimes just a charge is what is needed.

To be clear, you can also get the 'shift to P to start' message with a good battery that has been run down by listening to the radio with the engine off. Any time you fall below i think its 9 volts at the battery this will happen. In this case with a healthy battery just a jump start will get you going. I just want to mention this because this battery has so little reserve, it can happen at any time even with a good battery. Sometimes just a charge is what is needed.

This is really good to know...In my case, the battery was 5 years old and they did check it and it did need replacing. I guess we should all be careful with this little battery!

For consideration . . . if you are parked and listening to the radio with the gear selector in neutral you can get the "Shift to Park" message because the batteries are not charging. This happened to me shortly after I installed a new 12 volt battery, and has not happened since.