Project Sc300 Vvt-i Turbo Completed

Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor has a 1999 SC3. VVTi comes standard with the engine. It features dli and variable timing. From 1998 forward, all in line sixes got it. Long time coming. Great to hear it's rockin'. The attachment is empty though.

Care to list the set up?

JPI

2JZ-GTE Supra TT short block new from Toyota, Lexus VVT-i head

Supra TT 1.6mm head gasket, ARP head studs

SP stainless steel manifold, ceramic-coated

SP63 turbocharger, .81 A/R, 4” inlet, 3” out V-band, polished compressor housing, ceramic-coated exhaust housing, SP oil lines/fittings

SP second-generation 3” downpipe, ceramic-coated, 2nd O2 bung welded on for wideband fitment

SP 4” inlet piping powdercoated Gunmetal, K&N RF-1015 filter and 62-1360 breather

HKS Type S front mount intercooler

HKS GT wastegate, machined and fitted with Tial spring

HKS Super Sequential blow off valve

HKS EVC EZ II electronic boost controller

HKS Turbo Timer Type1 blk US-spec

HKS 60mm Direct Bright boost meter

JBE 3" intercooler piping

JBE 3” midpipe

PTE 55lb small-tip injectors

Walbro gss340 255lph fuel pump

Paxton fuel pressure regulator, Accel fpg

Aeroquip -8 braided fuel line, custom bulkhead, fuel system converted from returnless operation, dual-voltage fuel pump ecu converted to constant 12v operation

Trust e-Manage with expansion tool, ignition harness, injector harness, pressure sensor and harness

Caspers O2 simulator

TRD 1.3 bar radiator cap

Optima D34 Blue Top

Polished valve covers, intake manifold, throttle body, and idler

A341E Supra TT automatic with shift kit

Auto Couture kit - not installed yet

JDM D Speed clear sidemarkers with raised section

JDM Soarer emblems

BSF Solar Guard Quantum 19% tinted glass

Volk GT-C Gunmetal 18x9 Face1 +42 front, 18x10 Face1 +43 rear

Yokohama AVS Sport 245-40ZR18 front, 285-35ZR18 rear

03 SC430 Burled Walnut shifter

Legend5 deluxe garnish kit custom made in real Walnut Burlwood

Supra TT sway bars F&R with subframe mounts - not installed yet

Supra TT calipers F&R, refinished in black with silver and red script

Supra TT size slotted rotors F&R

Stainless braided brake lines F&R

EBC 'Green Stuff' pads F&R

Alpine CVA-1006 6.5” Mobile Multimedia Station

Alpine DVA-5205 DVD/video CD/CD player

Alpine CHA-1214 12-disc CD changer

Alpine PXA-H510 Multichannel Digital Signal Processor with Dolby digital 5.1 and Pro Logic, digital parametric, time correction

Alpine SBS-0715 center channel speaker system

Alpine SPR-176A Type R 6.75” component 2-way speaker system in doors with custom enclosures

Alpine SPR-176A Type R 6.75” component 2-way speaker system in rear deck

RF Punch 225.2 and g800a4 amps, RF Punch Link RFC-2210A

RF Connecting Punch RP1728 4AWG kit, RP1620 8AWG kit, RP7050 fuseblock, RP7085 distr block, RP4380-500 twisted pair interconnects, 3 sets

Stinger SBT428PPT and SBT428NPT HPM-Series Platinum battery terminals with 2 SBTCOV3 covers, SCB150 Pro Series 150amp breaker with SCBCOV cover

That is a very high quality parts list. I'd expect nothing less though. I do believe we were promised some slips as soon as e-town opens up. I didn't realise that you put the TT auto tranny already worked over in there. Nice indeed.

How is that e-manage treating ya?

Lexual, you can see a relative price breakdown in LL's featured LOC garage.

I'm not gonna bother trying to match this set-up any time soon. I'm already broke. We'll see how she looks next year.

I know it's been a rough ride, but I think you will be satisfied now Jon. I hope you are going to keep at least one of those examples around a while. Keep us posted on the stats for that puppy.

Thanks guys.

Lexual, according to what I added up the LOC garage it's $29k in mods, purchased the car for around $20k so i'm almost at $50k. Hadn't planned on spending that much, but who does.

jzz30, have a few hundred more miles to drive and more tuning to do before I can dyno, i'm in no rush right now.

UCF3, thx, something tells me my fiancee wouldn't agree... :rolleyes:

AWJ, hopefully i'll have everything dialed-in in time to make some runs when e-town opens, but i'll probably do some test n' tune sessions at the Hamptons first. The A341E automatic from the TT Supra comes in all '98-00 SC3's to handle the additional low-end of the vvt-i motor, didn't build it up, just adding a shift kit of sorts, which isn't done yet (maybe tomorrow). As for the e-manage, we do have one problem left to sort out which we suspect may be mgt-related, once that's taken care of we can finish tuning (again, maybe tomorrow). No need trying to match brother, your whip is as special as mine IMO, now we're both broke...just get your bluegrass butt up here so you can go for a ride. As for keeping one around, i'm definitely selling the red one....still undecided on this one, i'll let you know after I drive it on the hi boost setting :) .

I'll keep you guys posted.

The A341E automatic from the TT Supra comes in all '98-00 SC3's to handle the additional low-end of the vvt-i motor, didn't build it up,

Not to question your expertise in the matter, but :D - are you sure the '98+ sc300s have the A341E automatic transmission? From what I read around the internet, and a few other people, the A340E (the same one in the NA Supra) is used on all sc300. I hope I'm wrong and your right, cause I want to turbo my '98 sc300, and having a tranny that can handle the additional power would be great. Is there really a big difference between the A340E and A341E? Oh here's a link that list the sc300 automatic transmission. I know the LS400, SC400, and SupraTT uses the A341E.

http://www.rebuilt-auto-transmissions.com/...id=465&l_make2=

Lex, the setup is incredible. There's nothing better than a car built, and built right. There's really nothing else to say about it. It's incredible..

Bean the Type - S intercooler core alone is like.. 23.5 X 9.5 X 2.5

So his intercooler is pretty large, not counting end tanks of course. If I'm even thinking of the right core.

The A341E automatic from the TT Supra comes in all '98-00 SC3's to handle the additional low-end of the vvt-i motor, didn't build it up,

Not to question your expertise in the matter, but :D - are you sure the '98+ sc300s have the A341E automatic transmission? From what I read around the internet, and a few other people, the A340E (the same one in the NA Supra) is used on all sc300. I hope I'm wrong and your right, cause I want to turbo my '98 sc300, and having a tranny that can handle the additional power would be great. Is there really a big difference between the A340E and A341E? Oh here's a link that list the sc300 automatic transmission. I know the LS400, SC400, and SupraTT uses the A341E.

http://www.rebuilt-auto-transmissions.com/...id=465&l_make2=

napalm, yeah the A341E came in '98-00 SC3's instead of the A340E...as for mine it's definitely the 341, I serviced it. To answer your question, the main difference between the two is the strategy for managing line pressure.

bean, i'm using an HKS Type S, SP has made 839 rwhp with one, should be plenty for you, but most IC's will fit behind the bumper, incl Trust 3 and 4 core units. JBE fabbed 3" IC piping for me. As for what boost, the Tial spring we fitted should provide around 8 lbs on the gate alone (had a 1.1 bar hks spring in before), the low boost setting will probably be 15-17 psi, the hi setting will probably be 21 psi for now.

Sad, thx...I have more plans for it (very stiff competition around here), but I need to take some time to plan my wedding, so the rest will be on the DL for a bit. Just need to teach this one local DSM guy a lesson first... :)

- Jon

Reason i ask is that my friend at work knows the guy in Kong Kong that makes the hybrid ICs but these things are monsters..i think it was 600x300x80...give or take some... For 650 with tubes, thats a good price in my opinoin. Do you think there would be any needs for cooling system mods with an IC like that blocking the radiator? By mods i mean aluminum radiator or some hood mods.....

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

Dog gammit man!!! WTF!!

Did you try the greddy inspected e-manage again or what? If you don't mind, I'd like to talk about it. I know you are probably frustrated - so take some cool down time. Let me know when a good time to call is.

I'm very sorry to hear about all this. Let me know if there is anything I can do. We are glad you are okay. Stay safe.