Recommended Service Questions

Hi,

I am very frustrated with my current service recommendations. Having read parts of the forum, I have noted that dealerships will recommend service that you do not need. I have a feeling that is what happened to me. I have 34,000 on my 2008 RX 350. The battery terminal is corroded and my terminal cable broke causing my car to have no power. They said the corrosion is from normal wear and tear and that I had declined the "battery service" at 2.5 years of ownership and so it was my fault. If I have significant corrosion on my battery terminal causing the terminal cable to break away, I would say that there is some serious battery leakage going on. The service agent said the battery tested great and so there is no replacement even though the car is still under warranty. I have never had "battery service" recommended on any other vehicle I have owned and in particular when the car is only 2-3 years. Hmmm...I battled with the service agent and finally got them to replace the battery, not just the terminal cable, under warranty. They also recommended the following for my car:

Transmission fluid drained and replaced

2 tires replaced which will also then require a wheel alignment

Front brake pads replaced and the rotors lathed

Flush the powersteering fluid

Fuel Induction service

Am I being taken advantage of? I think so. I have declined all services and price shop at a few Toyota dealerships but do I really need to do everything listed? Any advice would be greatly be appreciated. I am very disappointed with the service I am getting but it is the only Lexus dealer in the area. (I bought my Lexus out of town because I was disappointed in the sales department too).

I would go on record with your dealership and complain. Call Lexus official customer 800#. Document, if no satisfaction, take out a small claims complaint in your local court house. Also go to your BBB on line and file a complaint about what happened. You will get satisfaction. Everyone should be doing this. Its becoming clear to me that Lexus is no better that Chevy! Its all smoke, mirrors and a con-job!

Remember: THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE OIL!!!

Not sure on the tranny change interval but you may be getting close.

34K on tires is a lot. What is the tread depth now?

You need to verify wear on the brake pads.

Flushing power steering fluid at this time is a money maker for the dealer & they are selling you "snake oil".

Did they also suggest you lubricate the muffler bearing & replace the reluctor?

Fuel injection service: see power steering service above.

Not sure on the tranny change interval but you may be getting close.

34K on tires is a lot. What is the tread depth now?

You need to verify wear on the brake pads.

Flushing power steering fluid at this time is a money maker for the dealer & they are selling you "snake oil".

Did they also suggest you lubricate the muffler bearing & replace the reluctor?

Fuel injection service: see power steering service above.

Completely agree with the above. I have always declined the fuel injection/induction service; it is a complete ripoff..

• 2 months later...

its a huge rip off.the only wear n tear are the brake pads n tire .orther then that this car 2/5 years old is still in full warranty . make a complain to the head office .i am surely you will b taken care off

its a huge rip off.the only wear n tear are the brake pads n tire .orther then that this car 2/5 years old is still in full warranty . make a complain to the head office .i am surely you will b taken care off

To maintain the warranty, required maintenance as detailed in the manual must be completed. The manual will give you a list of the items that Lexus expects. Anything more is dealer padding.