How Do I Remove The Steering Wheel? Need To Get At The Tilt Motor

jefflexi

Hi folks, I've come over from the dark side (UK) to try to find some help. It seems most of the folks in our 400/430 forum are 400 owners and as the 430 is a totally diffreret car I'm finding it really difficult finding help.

I wrote off my 400 a few weeks ago and I've replaced it with a 430 from 2003. I got the car private and it has a few faults which I need to fix.

the first and most important issue is with the tilt motor. I can hear it slightly moving but I have no up n down movement. In and out is ok. It's driving me nuts that I have to drive the car like this. It's really quite uncomfortable. I do need to remove the steering wheel to get passed the couling to the motor(s). I'd be very greatful if there is someone here that can walk me through the process or perhaps can send me a diagram of some kind so I can see a break down of the parts I need to get at and the tools I'll need to use = beg, steal or borrow ....oh yea, I'll also need to shut down the airbag system too ....

Next

Is there ANY WAY to totally shut down the tyre pressure warning system. I have the horrible triangle in my face. OK I know I can remove the bulb but that still don't stop the read out from the computer.

Ok, that's it. thanks for reading this and I hope you'll get intouch if you have some answers.

cheers,

Snaps

Are you 100% sure you need to remove the steering wheel? I believe the only screws holding the cowlings together are from the bottom, and on the front side (facing you). Try rotating the wheel left, and right to gain access to them. But if this still doesn't work.. then you'll need to remove the two torx bits, one on each side of the wheel. Pry off the side covers and you'll see them... Then pull the airbag off and use a puller to get the wheel off.

You can also remove the car's battery terminal to prevent the airbag issue. You MUST remove the battery while doing this. If you forget, as soon as you hit the torx bits with a metal driver, it'll short and the horn will go off (just to warn you).

But i believe this topic (wheel motor) has been talked about before, you might want to search a bit as i'm sure there's more details somewhere.

And for the tire pressure monitoring system, unfortunately i don't believe there's a way to disable it without seeing the warning on the cluster. AND, the LS430 clusters don't use bulbs for the warning lights- they're LED's. So you can't simply remove them without gaining access to the front of the main circuit board and destroying it. :wacko:

Just check to see why the warning light is up, could be many things...

Hi,

Invest a few $$$$ in one of these

http://repairbooks.co.uk/blog/lexus-ls430-manual/

Thanks for your replies. I took the motor out today and stripped it right down. It's electromagnetic with 2 magnetic wheels and a spring plate clutch. It sits directly under the steering column and it very easy to remove.

It was full of magnetic dust. I cleaned it all out and reassembled it again. I connected it to the car and it moved only a tiny bit (just a few mm) to the left and to the right. (just like before I started) I thought that i had it licked when I saw all the crap in there but the clean out has not seemed to help much. The power of the magnets must be strong to pull against the pressure plate clutch because when assembled it's very difficult to turn.

I'm no wizz on electrics and I'm having difficulty explaining to myself why the motor wont work becaues it looks like it should and as it'll turn a bit I would have hoped it would work properly. The only thing I've not done it to measure the power going into the motor. I'm assuming the relay must be ok as it is turning a tiny bit once or twice and then it'll stop alltogether.

Any thoughts on this? I've scratched a hole in the middle of my head trying to work this out. The bummer is that if I order a new one I can't get a refund if I manage to fix the one I have.

I've taken a bunck of pix during the removal and stripdown. If some one can tell he how to get pix into this page I'll put them up. The "help" is no !Removed! help at all.

Ta very much,

Snaps the happy, happy Lexus owner :censored:

There might be a restriction on uploading pics because you have only 2 posts...

So i would recommend uploading them through a hosting site. Try tinypic.com.

When at the site, next to "File:" select the picture, wherever you have it stored.

Then click "UPLOAD NOW".

Enter the security code.

Then copy the text under the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" area

Paste it in the same box where you type your responses here. It'll show on the forum.

Show us some pics of the motor if you have them. <_<

Also see this post by another member. Post 11 seems promising.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52146

There might be a restriction on uploading pics because you have only 2 posts...

So i would recommend uploading them through a hosting site. Try tinypic.com.

When at the site, next to "File:" select the picture, wherever you have it stored.

Then click "UPLOAD NOW".

Enter the security code.

Then copy the text under the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" area

Paste it in the same box where you type your responses here. It'll show on the forum.

Show us some pics of the motor if you have them. <_<

Also see this post by another member. Post 11 seems promising.

Hi Cduluk -thanks for the link. I did a search yesterday and found that link. It was after reading that that I began to strip the steering down. I've put it all together again now as I'm in Paris for the weekend and need the car. I screwed the motor back into the thread but to a more comfortable position. At least I can get my legs under it now and can move the seat to the wheel instead of the other way around. When I get back I'm going to roll down to an Autosparx and let a pro 'av a go. If it's dead then it's dead and I'll proberbly get one from the US. My local Lexus dealer wanted $428 for that little thing - thives :chairshot: !!

The pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/herenthere0/SteeringTiltMotorLexusLS4302003#

It's quite strange that I needed a new log-in for the US site. My UK credentials would not work. Over there I am a more frequent poster.

That is one complicated motor... I can't tell by looking at it why it's not working. It could just be from wear, maybe the parts were shaved down to the point where the contacts aren't strong enough to work...

I would just bite the bullet for a new one. Parts.com has it for $235+shipping. Probably the best price you'll find.

awtbpy.jpg

• 1 year later...

hoping someone is still active on this thread. Jefflexi -- I went to the picasa site to try and look at the photos, but they were not there any more. I have exactly the same problem. Did you remove the whole steering column to get to the motor? Seeing your pictures sure would help. Thanks!

Somewhere in the tutorials is an excellent presentation with pictures that shows exactly how to repair the tilt wheel. The steering wheel was not removed. I downloaded it and can access it off a backup drive if you can't find it with search.

Somewhere in the tutorials is an excellent presentation with pictures that shows exactly how to repair the tilt wheel. The steering wheel was not removed. I downloaded it and can access it off a backup drive if you can't find it with search.

Try this...from Club Lexus:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300/49783-tilt-steering-repair.html

I think this is it, post 11 & 12

Thanks for the quick responses. I followed the above link, and I think it is for a 2000 or older car. My steering column looks different -- see attached photo. Any other tips are appreciated. I have a 2002 LS430. Here is a link to the pic from my car: https://picasaweb.google.com/109874387062067160421/LS430#5674123121372658050

Hi folks, I've come over from the dark side (UK) to try to find some help. It seems most of the folks in our 400/430 forum are 400 owners and as the 430 is a totally diffreret car I'm finding it really difficult finding help.

I wrote off my 400 a few weeks ago and I've replaced it with a 430 from 2003. I got the car private and it has a few faults which I need to fix.

the first and most important issue is with the tilt motor. I can hear it slightly moving but I have no up n down movement. In and out is ok. It's driving me nuts that I have to drive the car like this. It's really quite uncomfortable. I do need to remove the steering wheel to get passed the couling to the motor(s). I'd be very greatful if there is someone here that can walk me through the process or perhaps can send me a diagram of some kind so I can see a break down of the parts I need to get at and the tools I'll need to use = beg, steal or borrow ....oh yea, I'll also need to shut down the airbag system too ....

Next

Is there ANY WAY to totally shut down the tyre pressure warning system. I have the horrible triangle in my face. OK I know I can remove the bulb but that still don't stop the read out from the computer.

Ok, that's it. thanks for reading this and I hope you'll get intouch if you have some answers.

cheers,

Snaps

You don't need to remove the steering wheel to remove the tilt motor. Use a socket with an opening slightly larger than the pressed-in studs that secure it. Next, find a bolt that can thread into the studs and pass it through the socket and into the studs using washers to keep it from going all the way through. As you tighten the bolt, it will pull the studs out. Remove the C-Clip from the stem and remove the motor. Be sure to use new bushings when replacing the motor to keep the column tight. To reset the TPWS, you must start the car. Next, reach under the driver's knee panel to find the TPWS initialization switch. Press and hold the switch until the display makes an AUDIBLE beep(no beep, no reset. May take 2 tries) and reads "Pressure Initial". Do this each time tires are rotated/replaced. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find a picture on removing the tilt motor.

Thanks!!! I followed the link that billdpowell posted, and that took me to the right spot. I followed the instructions, and have a steering wheel that mostly works. Much better than being stuck in the down position!

"Mostly"? I guess you didn't actually "replace" your tilt motor.

Thanks!!! I followed the link that billdpowell posted, and that took me to the right spot. I followed the instructions, and have a steering wheel that mostly works. Much better than being stuck in the down position!

"Mostly"? I guess you didn't actually "replace" your tilt motor.

Nope -- I just unhooked the wiring harness, then manually twisted the motor around and applied grease to the gear. The wheel travels up and down some, but I'm guessing not all that it is supposed to. I spent $5 on the grease and messed around with it for an hour or so. If it fails again, I may pony up and buy a new motor.