Power Steering Loosing Fluid

LS40094

good day to everyone, 1994 LS400, installed rebuilt power steering pump, had shop install, after we got it back it started smoking in the morning, something it never done, took back and was advised to purchase a switch or sensor of some sort which i did from the local Lexus dealer, they installed that, problem went away but just for a short time, about 3-4 months now smoking again, any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time. Kelly

Hi,

What color is the smoke? If it is white it is normally the IAC valve on the PS pump that has failed,most people remove the valve and plug the hole and the 2 pipes to the intake manifold.

What part/sensor did you replace?

Link below ( last picture/description ) explains better.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/pspumpremoval.html

Listen to Steve as he is exactly right on this one. It is a black valve which screws into the PS pump (access from below) and it has 2 vacuum lines at the other end. Mine all of a sudden started smoking and putting out a cloud like that at work is embarrasing to say the least. As a result, I stayed and worked late. Once that got old, I fixed it the easy way. I plugged the lines and vacuum hoses since it does what it needs. When I have the time and motivation, I'll put in the plug.

Hi,

What color is the smoke? If it is white it is normally the IAC valve on the PS pump that has failed,most people remove the valve and plug the hole and the 2 pipes to the intake manifold.

What part/sensor did you replace?

Link below ( last picture/description ) explains better.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/pspumpremoval.html

it is white smoke coming from the exhaust, the part i replaced was the valve on the pump, thanks so much for the fast reply and the information, glad to know i can plug the pump with out the valve, the illistration is great, thanks again for the help.