Fuel Tank Question

radhead23

i do 80% city driving and 20% hwy driving. i use premium unleaded gas which is 1.80. I often spend 25-30 dollar a week on gas. my question is how do i know if i am having a problem with the fuel system? how do i know if there is a leakage from my fuel tank? I check the bottom of the fuel tank and found no leakage. the 99 rx300 fuel tank size is 17 gallons. Or is it the fact that rx300's have bad fuel economy? I remember one of the dealer who i bought it from said that the rx300 have good fuel economy. If i am spending 25-30 a week on gas and last only one week, that is not good fuel economy.

Last question i have, do cars often have fuel tank leakage? I hardly see one because it is rare.

i do 80% city driving and 20% hwy driving. i use premium unleaded gas which is 1.80. I often spend 25-30 dollar a week on gas. my question is how do i know if i am having a problem with the fuel system? how do i know if there is a leakage from my fuel tank? I check the bottom of the fuel tank and found no leakage. the 99 rx300 fuel tank size is 17 gallons. Or is it the fact that rx300's have bad fuel economy? I remember one of the dealer who i bought it from said that the rx300 have good fuel economy. If i am spending 25-30 a week on gas and last only one week, that is not good fuel economy.

Last question i have, do cars often have fuel tank leakage? I hardly see one because it is rare.

Um, you left out the only information which would actually help us...how far do you go between fillups? 200 miles? 300 miles? 120 miles?

Using anything other than 87 octane is likely a waste of money. I've found -0- difference in using regular unleaded in both the RX300 and a car which says to use 89 octane.

You're lilkely going to get about 20 MPG, less in the winter due to 'oxygenated' gasoline, which just adds air to the gas, giving you less, literally.

Fuel leakage is rare, and trust me, you'd *smell* it...big time. Usually it's from either a filter or a fuel line connection. Modern tanks are plastic so they don't rot...not like that was common, anyway.

Fuel economy is so variable, without riding with someone, you can't say if their lack of proper MPG is car-related, or driving-habit-related. Look at it this way, if you meet the EPA figures, you're winning the game. If you beat them, you're the man. I can't quite get to EPA figures on the RX, can't get even close with the Intrepid I have, but beat the EPA numbers on the Suzuki Grand Vitara without trying hard.... I don't drive the Lexus enough to 'learn' it, the Intrepid I just beat the crap out of, 'cause it's fun, and the Suzuki gets short-shifted, as I'm lazy....

I'm probably in the same case at rad, with 80% driving not being highway.

I don't get in a whole lot of highway miles- but I get about 20 miles/gallon.

I use the 87 octane also, I tried a couple of tanks of 93 preminium, but didn't

see any difference, actually it was 3 tanks. The only thing I have noticed,

is using no-name gas seems to make some difference. I've been using,

Mobil, or Citgo and having no problems. If I put in a cheap brand, I have a

little bit of acceleration slowness. Same hill, long 2 mile stretch, took about

4 seconds longer to get to 65 with the cheaper gas.

I'm not real fussy, but I want my car to last, if it rides better with Mobil,

I'll use the Mobil. Oh, I would guess most of the RX owners don't beat on

their cars. Drive intelligently, act responsibly, and the car will last..........

till you get the next one.

PharmGuy

Follow up to PharmGuy's comment ... {hi again}

I've only been putting Citgo [cheapest gas in town] but do notice some difference if i put real high end {93} vs. what i usually now put {87}. The gas pedal almost goes down easier {less resistance} and the car feels more energetic {faster}. But not worth the extra $ for the 93.

good luck.

lexus_romeo

So far no one asked if you were attempting to keep track of your mileage.

You should regularly trakc your own for a few fill ups in a row abotu twicce a year. This is actually suggested by auto makers as a way to monitor the performance of your car. If your mileage goes whacky then it's time to take it in.

Just in case you don't know.

1) Go to get gas write down your mileage.

2) Fill up the tank all the way.

3) Next time you get gas write down you mileage again.

4) Now fill up your tank all the way. Write down the exact amount of gas you just put in. Be as accurate as possible.

5) Take you current mileage minus your mileage form step 1 and divide by the amount of gas you just put in. That's you avg mpg.

Do this about three times in a row in case you did some abnormal driving during one on those weeks,+