Need Advice On 2002 Rx300 "oil Related"

Kable

Hello everyone, this is a great site. I just joined, and am looking for some advice. I bought a 2002 rx300 about a month ago. I noticed that it was using oil, hard to determine exactly how much at this point. I removed the valve cover, and everything looks good with no signs of sludging. The car has 90k miles and was well maintaned. The car was a one owner and they gave me a copy of the service history. I am planning to do an oil and filter change, so I will be able to determine oil consumption. I have done a lot of reading about the oil to use and it seems like mobile 1 or castoral full senthetics would be a good choice. I am a little confused on whether to use conventional or synthetic. I know the previous owner used conventional. To sum up, my main questions are as follows. Thank you.

Should I go synthetic, if it has been running conventional?

Is there a diffrence between oil filters for synthetic or conventional?

Is there any information from Lexus stating wheter to use syn or conv? (i have found nothing in the manual)

I run Mobil 1 and change it every 5,000 miles in an effort to prevent the onset of "sludge death" common to this engine. Either Castrol synthetic or Mobil 1 are good choices. I think the important thing to focus on regarding oil selection is to change it every 5,000 miles and pay no attention to the "recommended interval" which is designed to make the Cost of Operation appear less expensive. I'd venture to day that number was probably set by the Marketing Department and not the Engineering Department.

To my knowledge, there is no difference in oil filters vis-à-vis synthetic vs. Dino oils. Filtration is a mechanical process and should not be affected by fluid properties. Synthetics have essentially the same lubricating properties as new Dino oil; they just tend to maintain those properties for a longer period of time.

If you promise to change the oil at 5,000 miles or more frequent intervals, you could probably get by with a high-quality non-synthetic. It all depends on how wide you want your comfort zone to be. Driving style and environment should be also be considered when setting oil change intervals.

I use Royal Purple synthetic:

www.royalpurple.com/

It's more expensive going in but requires less frequency. I also purchased a very good one owner RX (2001). The previous owners were using a Mobile One blend. I noticed about a half a quart of loss between oil changes. Since I switched to Royal Purple, I have no loss even though I am going more miles between changes. Not sure why. Hope this helps.

I have 152,000 miles on my RX and change the oil every 7,500 miles--even though they say you can go longer.

I use Royal Purple synthetic:

www.royalpurple.com/

It's more expensive going in but requires less frequency. I also purchased a very good one owner RX (2001). The previous owners were using a Mobile One blend. I noticed about a half a quart of loss between oil changes. Since I switched to Royal Purple, I have no loss even though I am going more miles between changes. Not sure why. Hope this helps.

I have 152,000 miles on my RX and change the oil every 7,500 miles--even though they say you can go longer.

Thank you filehorse and joe913, I appreciate the advise. What would you guys reccomend for the filter. Is purlator a good choice? Any other input would be appreciated as well. The rx300 runs great, and as I mentioned sludging seems negative. If it is still using oil after the change, what would be my next step? Joe913 mentioned not using oil after switching to royal purple. Are there products or additives that would help. Also I know there is no oil being leaked. Thanks.

Thank you filehorse and joe913, I appreciate the advise. What would you guys reccomend for the filter. Is purlator a good choice? Any other input would be appreciated as well. The rx300 runs great, and as I mentioned sludging seems negative. If it is still using oil after the change, what would be my next step? Joe913 mentioned not using oil after switching to royal purple. Are there products or additives that would help. Also I know there is no oil being leaked. Thanks.

Purolator is a good filter. Keep in mind that they have at least a couple of different levels of filters. Wix is also a good one. I believe the Napa brand name is also made by Wix. They are 2 companies that have maintained quality over a gazillion years, when so many others have turned to garbage. Stay away from FRAM!!!