Gas Smell

cfrazierjr

I have a Lexus 1991 ES300. This past weekend I had the oil changed. Afterwards, I noticed the strong smell of gasoline in the car. I figured maybe it was because it was in the shop. That afternoon, the gas smell still persisted. On Monday when we took the car back to the shop, the gas smell has gone away. The mechanic looked over the car from top and bottom and everything appeared to be ok. Today, Wednesday, the gas smell came back stronger than ever. It didn't occur during my morning commute, but occurred when I got in the car and started it up at lunch time. We took the car by the mechanic once again, but by the time we got there the smell had gone away again! This afternoon on my drive home, the smell came back again! This is very frustrating and the fumes are giving me headaches. Any suggestions? Anyone? HELP!!

Um, check your floor mat. My guess is the mechanic had some on his shoes that transferred to the floor mat.