Power Steering Fluid

stroker

Just had a complete P/S job done on my 91 LS400 and need to top off the fluid, the manual calls for Dextron II Transmission fluid, which I was told by two different indie parts stores that it is not made anymore...they suggested Dextron III or go to Lexus and buy the Toyota stuff for much more money. Is III OK to use? Thanks in advance, Bobby

Just had a complete P/S job done on my 91 LS400 and need to top off the fluid, the manual calls for Dextron II Transmission fluid, which I was told by two different indie parts stores that it is not made anymore...they suggested Dextron III or go to Lexus and buy the Toyota stuff for much more money. Is III OK to use? Thanks in advance, Bobby

I think if you go on line you can still buy II, but I was told they are forward compatible with IV , which I think is the newest. I would do more research and not rely on that however. I know these pumps do go and it is great that you did a complete rebuild/replace. I have a 97 that makes a little noise. I just did the suck out and replace with NAPA dextron. The dealer was not much help. They just told me they use power steering fluid.

Any Dexron fluid will do - they are backwards compatible. And what makes the difference between them is important only to the insides of an automatic trans, and not to a power steering system where it is strictly used as a hydraulic fluid. Even Toyota type IV will work, at additional cost in dollars of course.