Passanger Air Bag Ligt On All The Time

rx330 kid01

I looked back to July of 2008 and could not find this issue answered. so....

2004 RX330

the Air Bag light is on all the time even with someone sitting in the seat. It started doing this about 4 monts ago.

Is there some reset button to temperarily turn it off and see if it comes back and is a real issue?

Thanks

2004 RX330

the Air Bag light is on all the time even with someone sitting in the seat. It started doing this about 4 monts ago.

Is there some reset button to temperarily turn it off and see if it comes back and is a real issue?

Thanks

I don't have a knowledgeable answer for you but I'm assuming you mean "air bag off" light. My wife's 2011 Camry has a light that lights up "air bag on" when someone IS SITTIING in the seat. The rest of the time it's off. I'm assuming yours reads "air bag off" UNLESS someone IS sitting in the seat. The 1st thing I would do is put a large enough weight in the seat that it SHOULD turn the light off (doesn't have to be your wife) and the start wiggling the wires under the seat that go to the sensor. There is a possibility the sensor in the seat is broken. You could try unhooking the battery for a while (15-20 min.) to see if it will reset the light but I doubt that's the problem. There are sometimes as many as 3 fuses in an air bag system so you could check to make sure they are all OK. I'm not sure how many an RX has. I don't think an airbag light resets itself like a lot of other things reset with a battery disconnect, but worth a try. Airbag systems often do self check each time a car is started. I am assuming the dash AB light isn't illuminated, just the ABO light. My guess is that there is failure in the actual seat sensor, but I would check the wires and connections 1st. I doubt that there's a reset button. Some cars have to have a special "air bag scanner" (an expensive and dedicated scanner) to diagnose AB problems and do resets, others do scan and clear each time they're started.

2004 RX330

Thanks

I don't have a knowledgeable answer for you but I'm assuming you mean "air bag off" light. My wife's 2011 Camry has a light that lights up "air bag on" when someone IS SITTIING in the seat. The rest of the time it's off. I'm assuming yours reads "air bag off" UNLESS someone IS sitting in the seat. The 1st thing I would do is put a large enough weight in the seat that it SHOULD turn the light off (doesn't have to be your wife) and the start wiggling the wires under the seat that go to the sensor. There is a possibility the sensor in the seat is broken. You could try unhooking the battery for a while (15-20 min.) to see if it will reset the light but I doubt that's the problem. There are sometimes as many as 3 fuses in an air bag system so you could check to make sure they are all OK. I'm not sure how many an RX has. I don't think an airbag light resets itself like a lot of other things reset with a battery disconnect, but worth a try. Airbag systems often do self check each time a car is started. I am assuming the dash AB light isn't illuminated, just the ABO light. My guess is that there is failure in the actual seat sensor, but I would check the wires and connections 1st. I doubt that there's a reset button. Some cars have to have a special "air bag scanner" (an expensive and dedicated scanner) to diagnose AB problems and do resets, others do scan and clear each time they're started.

The airbag lights are below. both lights stay on, weather or not someone is sitting in the seat.

I weigh 190 lbs and it stays on Thanks...

post-65582-089676000 1286970899_thumb.jp

post-65582-036973500 1286970944_thumb.jp

So both the light in the dash AND the light on the console are lit... What does it say to do in the manual when both are lit?

It's odd that both the driver and passenger airbag lights are giving off warnings... There's gotta be a short somewhere in the entire system...

Does your RX have the feature that produces a chime whenever you begin to drive when you (or the front seat passenger) don't have their seatbelts on? If so, have someone sit in the passengers seat and drive around for a minute or so- see if the chime comes on. Then, buckel your belts and see if the chime goes off (which it should). If the chime persists, then that's a sign something is wrong.

The airbag system takes info in from the pressure sensor in the passenger seat bottom (to determine if anyone is sitting there) AND determines whether or not passengers are wearing their seatbelts. If any of these sensors are faulty, it might be causing this...