Just Bought 1996 Ls400

LorenzoLS400

Hello all,

I just purchased my families first Lexus. Its a jade/tan 1996 LS400 with 68K on the odometer. It's a one owner, 100% maintained by the dealer every 5k miles. I was able to get a copy of the service records and carfax report with zero damage. Also just had a dealer brake job. New rotors, calipers, pads, and wheel balance. Paid $14,700. Might of paid a just a little too much?, but with the service history, it was well worth it to me. It's super clean. My wife actually thought it was brand new. My daily driver is a 1998 Grand Cherokee. When I brought it home on the tollway, didn't realize I was going 90. The car is smooth as glass. Just want to thank all the members. Before joining the forum, I've read several posts and have learned quite a bit of info and it definitely helped with my purchase. I was able to eliminate quite a few cars.

One newbie question.

Should I switch to synthetics for my 70k service. Engine, trans, etc.?

i'm sure everyone one this forum would say, if you have the option to go synthetic, then go synthetic. sk can tell you all about it, he has a positive opinion of synthetic.

I agree..........

I use amsoil 5-30; and for the diffy 80-90W Amsoil synthetic

Most guys use mobil 1 5-30 with excellent results too....

I still use Toyota T-IV Transmission fluid though, as it contains synthetic additives and is specially formulated for toyota; since the LS shifts like glass, I'll keep on using it.

congrats and send us some pics when you have time!

Congrats! I know what you went through. I just picked up my first LS on Tuesday. You got an excellant deal. I paid $11,900 for a 95 with 89K miles. I have been driving a Benz for the past 10 years.

Before finding this forum, I was deciding bettween a BMW 740iL or MB 420S. Due to the excellant reliability ratings, I stared to look more closely at the LS. I'm glad I did! The LS ride is as smooth as silk.

I am quite sure my next car will be a 430.