Another Tranny Went To Hell

fernandolpa

Ok, My japanese RX300 2001 EUR specs (I am from the other side of the Ocean) went to hell with 100k miles.

Unfortunately there is no big offer of remanufactured trans or higlanders in this side of the ocean.

In case that I go for a new one, does anyone knows if it is possible to install the 5 speed one for the latest RX350 that Lexus sold like UAE?

In this case, you know the part number?

At the end is a big money, so it is a nice improvement after all.

Thanks!

PD. By he way, I replace the transmission fluid 6k miles ago to avoid this failure...so far the first problem in the car since new...

My transmission guy wouldn't even put a remanufactured unit in. He rebuilt the failed transmission's parts claiming that there are so many variations in Lexus transmissions that the computer might not sync with a different unit. Based on that - I wouldn't put any hope on installing a 5 speed in it.

Ok, My japanese RX300 2001 EUR specs (I am from the other side of the Ocean) went to hell with 100k miles.

Unfortunately there is no big offer of remanufactured trans or higlanders in this side of the ocean.

In case that I go for a new one, does anyone knows if it is possible to install the 5 speed one for the latest RX350 that Lexus sold like UAE?

In this case, you know the part number?

At the end is a big money, so it is a nice improvement after all.

Thanks!

PD. By he way, I replace the transmission fluid 6k miles ago to avoid this failure...so far the first problem in the car since new...

The Transmission in RX300 2001 is U140F on AWD and U140E on 2 wheel drives.

Mine broke last week and was overhauled - there are overhaul kits available.

I too was changing the ATF regularly and with Toyota ATF.

It is not the ATF. The problem is the pump in the Torque Convertor according the the guy who repaired mine. Mine was the 10th RX he did and recommended I put in a "heavy duty" TC adding $280 more. He maintained it was weak TC in RXs that caused early failure, and all else is good. Mine failed at about 70k only. I did go for the "heavy duty TC." I guess this is the fix in 350 models. All came under $1500 below dealer quotes.

He put in Dextron, not Type 4 because he maintained there is no difference. The kit he used is the common kit made by a company for Toyota, Lexus and some GM vehicles. He has warrantied for 40k when I will go back to him for service, and until then nothing to do even if I pulled a trailer. He is so sure. I am lucky to find a mechanic who knows what he is doing. He runs his own Transmission Repare shop. No part came from Toyota or Lexus.

The pump could be part of the problem, But the biggest change I have been told was in the planetary gear assembly. THe original was an aluminum carrier with 4 steel gears while the replacement is a steel carrier with six gears....much stronger design....

Yep, the planetary gear assembly is the primary culprit in these RX300 transmission failures. For those of you who may be considering an RX, don't get one older than the 2004 model (the first year of the RX330). The 330s are built better in a number of ways than the 300s, including the transmission. We've had both - my wife's 300 was an absolute dog while her 330 has been a much better vehicle....

• 3 weeks later...

My transmission died on Friday. Happy Lexus RX300 driver at 3:00 and by 3:23 I was stuck on the side of the road calling AAA for a tow. Husband and I spent Saturday online reading forums and complaints re: early RX300 transmission issues. Car was towed to the local transmission guy (who had seen 4 RX300's in his shop in the last 2 weeks and said "planetary" when I brought it in). I had bad experience with the local Lexus dealer and service manager in 2002 and never took it back there.

Any advice on how to proceed and if I should sell once fixed is greatly appreciated. (I write a car review blog, so I have a list of new cars that I would like to have!)

2001 RX300

91,000 miles

Original owner

Scheduled maintenance for oil changes and at 30K, and 60K

No issues until late 2009 when check engine light came on. Codes said emission issue, so had part replaced, passed smog check, and ran well for last year.

On Friday I got off the highway and stopped at a light and when I pressed on accelerator the car kind of hiccupped, but the engine sounded fine. I got through that light and another, but almost lost all power in the next intersection. Pulled over, stopped and tried to go again. Engine fine, but wouldn't drive. No drive, no reverse, couldn't even push it in neutral. Thank God that hadn't happened on Highway 101 in Friday afternoon traffic going 65 MPH!

I talked to Lexus Customer Service today and they will get back to me about "good will" assistance with the repair costs. He said transmission fluid should be checked every 30k miles and to get records from mechanic (which are in my car at the shop and I don't have a way to get there...). I don't recall reading in the manual about that. Did I miss a manual update somewhere in the last 10 years?

Thanks! Great advice on this forum!

• 2 weeks later...

My transmission died on Friday. Happy Lexus RX300 driver at 3:00 and by 3:23 I was stuck on the side of the road calling AAA for a tow. Husband and I spent Saturday online reading forums and complaints re: early RX300 transmission issues. Car was towed to the local transmission guy (who had seen 4 RX300's in his shop in the last 2 weeks and said "planetary" when I brought it in). I had bad experience with the local Lexus dealer and service manager in 2002 and never took it back there.

Update: I did get some "Good Will" assistance from Lexus and from the dealer as well. I have my RX back as of yesterday, and I enjoyed my 2010 RX 450h loaner from the dealer. Yesterday the Check Engine and VSC lights came on after I picked up the car, but this isn't the first time and I suspect it's a loose hose. I have more info on these lights thanks to this forum.

Here is my blog post regarding my experience: http://mamascar.blogspot.com/2010/11/give-thanks-for-your-transmission.html

• 1 year later...

Lexus will only give you "good will" if you have the repair done by a dealer. The transmission dipstick sticker says "lifetime" transmission fluid but Lexus tries to pretend that doesn't exist.

Was checking on scheduled maintenance and saw your post. Does this actually mean the tranny fluid NEVER has to be replaced????

Lexus will only give you "good will" if you have the repair done by a dealer. The transmission dipstick sticker says "lifetime" transmission fluid but Lexus tries to pretend that doesn't exist.

Was checking on scheduled maintenance and saw your post. Does this actually mean the tranny fluid NEVER has to be replaced????

That's certainly what my 2001 RX300 owners manual implies.