Ambient A/c Air Temp Sensor Location?

mdl95003

My air conditioning seems to only work in either Max Cold or Max Hot setting, and doesn't regulate itself when set to Auto and attempting to keep cabin air at 72 degrees. My guess is a faulty air ambient temperature sensor. Does anybody know where this sensor is located on a 2001 LX470?

in my 2004 and 2006 LX470's it is located by my right knee when seated in the drivers seat. look at the panel below where your keys go, there will be a few lines that look like little stationary vents, maybe a half inch long, the sensor is right behind it. if you can't locate it i can send pictures if you email me....

in my 2004 and 2006 LX470's it is located by my right knee when seated in the drivers seat. look at the panel below where your keys go, there will be a few lines that look like little stationary vents, maybe a half inch long, the sensor is right behind it. if you can't locate it i can send pictures if you email me....

Thanks. I found the location; now, can you provide any quick tips on how to remove that panel so the switch can be accessed? It doesn't seem to have any obvious fasteners/screws, and appears to be mounted beneath the dark gray plastic above it which surround the steering console and the ignition switch etc---surely there must be a way to get at this sensor without dismantling the steering column plastic, the ignition switch surround/plastic, and half of the dashboard?