My New Ground Wire

blake918

I had a little extra time this weekend, so I decided to put in a new ground wire because I've heard so many people say how awesome they are! I agree :D ! My car is like a completely different animal; it runs better, shifts smoother, and warms up quicker which is really nice on cold mornings! I still have that dam electrical problem though which I was kinda hoping this would cure(...but didn't); the battery light payed me 2 visits this morning after not seeing me for 3 weeks!! I'm going to go see a mechanic or the dealer to get this fixed. Does the computer hold any codes for the battery warning light? That would be awesome if it did; then, it would probably be an easy fix.

The parts are well under $10(@ Pepboys) for the 1 gauge wire and less for the higher gauges. Also, it takes very little time to do-maybe 20 minutes or 30 to really take your time.

:cheers:

The hell if I know! :lol: I'm no mechanic! However, I do have simple evidence that has lead me to this belief...the ambient temps are all very close: on my morning drive to school the heater cuts on automatically right before I drive through the toll booth(I also make a note that the engine temperature is dead center on the gauge). Everyday since the switch, the car temp is dead center on the gauge, and the heater is on about a mile earlier than with the old wire!

I also don't understand why the car shifts (and runs)smoother, but their's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it does because I analize just about every(not all!!!) shift(I get bored in the car sometimes!) the tranny makes, and it's a lot more graceful when the tranny is in warm-up mode holding the gears as well as driving around town. This makes me happy :D !

All of this is a little to coincidental to be chance/luck! I drive the exact same route and drive in the same if not exact same manner too. At 6:30 when I head out for school, I'm not in a sporting type of mood, so I rarely floor it which might help with the warm up speed. Also, since the new wire, it has happened every, single, solitary day. It just doesn't add up to be luck to me!

as it does not make apparent sense at first the easiest way to think of the increased temp would be

better combustion from a better spark and ecu values as the car is an electric animal that needs a perfect 14.4vdc to run perfectly

so if you have better combustion you can gain higher temps also

not an exact answer but a thought

btw you should also try replacing the alternator wire and the starter wire also.

as the battery gorund wire tends to be the biggest culprit though

did you find your old wire was cracked brittle and corroding at all ?

did you find your old wire was cracked brittle and corroding at all ?

Nope! Just decided to change it! I think I remember reading that you said how much it helped out your car as well as a few other members. This new wire is massive! Next to the stock wire, the new one makes the old look like dental floss! :lol:

Great idea about the quicker warm-ups! ;)

LOL.....One more question. When you first start your car in the morning, do you let it warm up the exact same time before reaching the toll booth? Are the outside weather conditions(degree) the same for all these tests? :wacko:

The car gets to warm up the 5 seconds it takes for me to fasten my seat belt ;) ; then, I go! All temperatures are not the exact(as I'm sure they're not anywhere!) same, but I'd say that this week it has been 50 deg. +/- 5 deg.

Alan, Just wondering why are you convinced that something else is heating my car quicker? I find it weird to, but it is way too much of a cause and effect!

I thought it was crap also

until i changed the main ones in my civic and everything worked much better ,so i was having a resistance issue.

then when i changed my battery to an optima with reverse posts i had to replace some wiring and it made a hell of a difference in idle power being constant and the rest of the car including the dash back lighting being more white than yellow

I actually was planning on trading in my ES for an LS but after having put in the time and effort of replacing rims, springs (drop 1.8"), timing belt, water pump, struts, cam seals, all belts and full tune up, full transmission service etc. $3200 for my 92 just did not seem fair and I have 118K on it. So I gave up on the idea and am gonna use it for another year before I attempt a trade in. Unless someone on this forum wants to buy it B)

Sohaib

Blake,

I thought you are buying A ls400.  I never believe in the ground wire thing.  It's a waste of money to me.  It's not like your lexus is some high power drag racing vehicle. 

JPI

I did go for the '95 LS! It will leagally be mine on Monday or Tuesday! :D :D ...no more leg cramps for me!!

Wow, I never thought this ground would be so debated! I tried it, and it works like a charm! Don't believe us...go buy 1 at PepBoys for less than $10 and switch it out-only 20 minutes taking your time. You'll be amazed! Things-powertrain mainly- seem to work better now, but it didn't cure the electrical problem that I've been having since Januaray :angry: . I'm going to bring the ES to my neighborhood Lexus dealer this week, and let them deal with the problem.