For Superior Mileage

calc

This is very contraversial! Some say that they use 87 and are ok, but I've never put anything but Premium Shell or Chevron gasolines in my car just to be on the safe side! Plus down here premium is only like 10cents more than mid grade and around 15cents from 87. It's just not worth it to skip to me! Just my $.02

:cheers:

I am averaging 22-24 mpg with around town driving.

I use premium Mobil and Exxon cause of the convenience of the SpeedPass. When I have had to use alternate brands, I haven't seen any drop.

Think about switching to synthetic oil before the trip. That will get you about 1 mpg more, too.

steviej

Last summer I took a trip from NYC to Minnesota(about 1200 miles each way). On my trip out there I used premium fuel all the way and on my way back I used regular grade fuel all the way. This was on an '03 ES with approximately 3000 miles on the odometer.

My findings: Gas mileage & performance was identical. I also did this test on a '94 ES and the findings were the same. I guaranty, if I did notice ANY difference I would have once again switched to premium, but I didn't. Also, I don't pussyfoot this car like some old senior citizen.....I really drive it! Psychologically, if it makes you feel better, by all means use the premium. ;)

Psychologically, if it makes you feel better, by all means use the premium. ;)

I agree...that's why I do it :geek: ! I'm probably wasting a little money, but it makes me feel good to put premium in like you said ;)!

:cheers:

I should add that both these cars had low mileage on the odometer. the '03 had about 3000 miles and the '94 had under 50,000 miles. I've found that you should use higher octane fuels to prevent pre-ignition on high mileage cars due to the normal carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. Just my observation. ;)

SW, no sulfur smell with either Mobil or Exxon here in MA. I've had the car for almost two winters and one full summer and have not noticed any difference between winter and summer blends either.

steviej

I have noticed that in MA, Sunoco no longer offers Ultra 94. Sunoco used to be 87, 89, 93 and Ultra 94. Now they are 87, 89, 91 and Ultra 93. Very odd. :blink:

I use the premium from costco, bp, and quicktrip only. Costco is only $1.62 which is $0.15 less than the others which is why I use it, and I have no problems. I'm not sure if you have one close to you though, but I get great mileage from there, and I plan on stopping there today to fill up.

I have always used premium in my cars. Now heres the deal, if you are looking for something that is good for your car then use premium, the mileage is not going to be that good becuase higher octane rating means more branched hydrocarbons thus lowering the boiling point of the gasoline - bottom line - premium burns quicker. The 87 octane gasoline has fewer branched hydrocarbons thus it burns at a higher temps and hence less of it will be used. I lent my car to a friend and specifically instructed him to use premium only, he ended up used regular and when I asked him what gas he had used since the mileage was really good, he smiled and said regular (wanted to kick his A*s). The mid grade is just a mixture of 87 and 92 60%:40%

Sohaib