Short In Dash

PPOIII

Ok Lexus pals. Here is my next problem on my 91 LS 400. My side mirrors,radio, AC are out. I know its all on the same fuse. I have tested the fuse. It is hot on both sides which means the problem is beyond the fuse box. Has anyone out there traced down a short in the dash like this before? If so how hard is it?

Come on Andy what do you think?

You are batting a 1000 so far!

Thanks, Paul

In the same drivers side kick panel fuse boxthere are 3 circuit breakers above the fuses one of which may have tripped.

To reset make sure the ignition is off then carefully insert a thin object such as a toothpick, needle or safety pin into the hole on top of the breaker,gently push until you hear a click this means it has been reset.

Turn on the ignition and see if the applications affected now operate,if they do you're done but if the breaker trips again you will have to delve further into the wiring loom.

In the same drivers side kick panel fuse boxthere are 3 circuit breakers above the fuses one of which may have tripped.

To reset make sure the ignition is off then carefully insert a thin object such as a toothpick, needle or safety pin into the hole on top of the breaker,gently push until you hear a click this means it has been reset.

Turn on the ignition and see if the applications affected now operate,if they do you're done but if the breaker trips again you will have to delve further into the wiring loom.

Steve I tried to reset the breakers with no sucsess. I think I am screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul,

Glad to hear you've made great progress on the fuel and idle problems!

I think your current opinion of a particular fuse as being good, has made you think that no other fuse is at fault. If I were at your house, I would help you by buying a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com and we would look at wiring diagrams together. In these diagrams we would find the source of battery voltage and its path to a large fuse first, say 40amp.

Next we would find branches off this 40 amp fuse (source) to many components and I'm confident you would see the NEXT fuse in line for Radio, A/C Control Head, and Mirrors. There may be one accessory relay / circuit breaker for these, or another fuse.

Have you had a aftermarket Radio, Alarm, GPS or Cell Phone installed recently? (Has someone cut, modified, spliced, jumpered in, any wiring?)

If so, gain access to where they last worked and visually inspect like a surgeon.

Yes, AllDataDIY is a great investment and gives you the birds eye view of how the +12 is sent to each device. It also shows you wire color and connector locations and pinouts.

It's the fastest way to understand and correct these problems and then you're off to problem free driving again!

Let us know?

Thanks,

Andy

I don't always check this site so you can have my email: andylowe@sbcglobal.net

Did you check both fuse boxes? Most folks do not know there are two. One under the hood by the battery. One inside the door, by the driver's kick panel. A have had fuses look good and even check good, but be bad. I found this out by simply putting in new good ones. Sometime the fuse shows it is giving power but it is not giving the amps the devises need. It can sometimes help to just pull the fuses and put back them back