Rear Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I think my rear valve cover is leaking a bunch and dripping on the exhaust manifold and smelling up the joint and I want to replace it. The problem is that its against the firewall and a pain to get to. I think it might be best to remove the upper intake and stuff. Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks you care to share? I did take a quick look and it seems that there are a couple of bolts that are impossible to get to. Is this true? Its not very straight forward if you ask me.

I have a '93 ES300. TIA...

Hi,

I've taken apart 2 of these in the junk yard, trying to get to the knock sensors, but only gone as far as getting the plenum and intake manifole off; takes about an hour to dismantle, and yes there are some tricky bolts on the EGR and stuff attached to the throttle body. I've not tried to take off the valve cover, but I have the same problem w/ something dripping by cylinder #1 by the firewall. Not sure it's the valve cover gasket, could be the pcv valve and might be something else (head gasket?).

Seems it would be tricky to get the downside fasteners off the rear cover. I've had the thought about losening up the top motor mount and then jacking up the engine a tad to lean it forward. Not sure it would move enough w/ the exhaust manifolds attached, but has anyone tried this? I also recall about folx removing the plastic attached to the firewall, but haven't looked hard at this possibility.

LL

I just did the valve cover gaskets on my 97 ES300. You will have to remove the upper intake plenum, and set it aside. Once thats done you should be able to get at all the bolts to remove the valve cover. They are in a kind of hard spot, but I didn't have too many problems getting at all the bolts. Just take your time and you should be all set.