Wow 5 Years

jainla

I was looking at a calendar today and I realized it's been 5 years and a day since I brought home my LS430 and joined the LOC family.

It's been wonderful. The car has exceeded pretty much every expectation I had when I bought it (and there were a lot). It continues to run admirably; I can't believe it's going to turn 10 next March. Thanks to a clean throttle body, new spark plugs and an alignment I think it runs better than the day I bought it. Gas mileage has gone from 17-18mpg to 20-21 on average.

The feared electrical gremlins and expensive failures connected to the Ultra Luxury package have yet to materialize (knock on wood). It hasn't been entirely trouble free; I've had to replace 2 oxygen sensors, a radiator and some front suspension bushings during the 90k service last year. I recently experienced my first real electrical failure of any kind: the driver's door lock actuator died. But the massaging seats, radar cruise etc continue amaze and delight.

Cosmetically the car still looks almost brand new. There are a couple more stone chips than I remember and a tiny scratch on the front bumper but aside from that the exterior paint still looks fetching. The interior looks identical to the day I bought it.

I'd like to thank everybody on this forum for their knowledge and generosity. It's been great having a wonderful resource like this site to come to when I had questions or concerns.

Here's to many more years (hopefully)!

:cheers:

"I recently experienced my first real electrical failure of any kind: the driver's door lock actuator died."

Mine did too... but we accidentally fixed it. remove it from the car, open it up and clean the two copper contacts and (hopefully)that fixed mine. with the motor out we tested it direct on the battery and it worked perfect, noticed the blackened contacts, cleaned them and it is still working... good luck

post-5365-128637170925_thumb.jpg

Hmm interesting... was it hard to open?

I know people have been successful at replacing the motor; but that actuator I think controls both the ez closer and the door lock. I'm thinking it might be worth the money to just replace both motors and not have to worry about it; I'm guessing the previous owner just killed it unlocking the driver's door over and over.

"I recently experienced my first real electrical failure of any kind: the driver's door lock actuator died."

Mine did too... but we accidentally fixed it. remove it from the car, open it up and clean the two copper contacts and (hopefully)that fixed mine. with the motor out we tested it direct on the battery and it worked perfect, noticed the blackened contacts, cleaned them and it is still working... good luck

Now that you mention it, it has been awhile. I joined right after I bought my 1990 LS400 and I still drive the car every day except in the summer since the AC is broken. Still looks good inside and out and still drives perfectly. I have replace the struts (torsion bars), one rear caliper, one upper ball joint. I love this car even though it will be an antique in about 4 years.

I am so tempted to buy one of those as a hobby car. There are many running around LA that still look great (and some that look awful). I'm pretty sure it will at least be something of a collectible if not a classic.

Now that you mention it, it has been awhile. I joined right after I bought my 1990 LS400 and I still drive the car every day except in the summer since the AC is broken. Still looks good inside and out and still drives perfectly. I have replace the struts (torsion bars), one rear caliper, one upper ball joint. I love this car even though it will be an antique in about 4 years.

I tend to smile every time I see "'01 LS430 '81 MB 240D (Still truckin'!)" as your car model. I drove a '79 240D from new until I stopped the day I test drove and immediately bought an LS400 in early 1990. My Mercedes Diesel was incredibly noisy and slow and I found myself inadvertently wildly exceeding the speed limit during my test drive of the 90 LS and for several weeks after I bought it until I got myself under control.

Do you actually switch back and forth between driving your LS430 and 240D? That would drive me CRAZY! Or is your L.A. traffic so bad you don't notice.

Your experience with your LS430 mirrors mine on that 90 LS400 and the gently used 00 LS400 I bought in 2003. I had no issues I consider major on either of these two cars over 273,500 miles and I certainly didn't "baby" them. The key, of course, is to never ever postpone maintenance and repairs.

Thank you for the phone related docs you sent me years ago. They've been used a number of times to help people on car forums -- sometimes just to provide a simple way to pass a signal from the center console to the truck through that 12 or 14 pin phone cable.

Thank you for all your past excellent posts. I wish you the best of fortune during the next five (or ten or more) years that you drive your LS430.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to smile every time I see "'01 LS430 '81 MB 240D (Still truckin'!)" as your car model. I drove a '79 240D from new until I stopped the day I test drove and immediately bought an LS400 in early 1990. My Mercedes Diesel was incredibly noisy and slow and I found myself inadvertently wildly exceeding the speed limit during my test drive of the 90 LS and for several weeks after I bought it until I got myself under control.

Do you actually switch back and forth between driving your LS430 and 240D? That would drive me CRAZY! Or is your L.A. traffic so bad you don't notice.

The 240D is something of a lifestyle choice, or maybe an institution. It was (is) literally my first car. It's indestructible. In the 17 years I've had it it's stranded me only once (starter) and been jumped 3 or 4 times (batteries and alternators seem to be consumable).

Having that blistering 67hp teaches you patience. Acceleration is best described as stately.

Going from a car that is woefully underpowered (67hp) to one that is not (290hp) was quite an experience. I do clearly remember after I first got the Lex being on an onramp and accelerating to clear a much slower moving car, and then looking down at the speedo and realized I was doing NINETY as I merged onto the highway. Initially my solution was to try to drive both cars exactly the same; which many of my friends (and fellow drivers) found infuriating.

Still the 240 has a mechanical simplicity that I still find endearing. It's a manual, and the ballet between the clutch and shifter is truly entertaining (and necessary). The windows, door locks etc are all operated by elbow grease. The steering, brakes and sunroof are the only power accessories, and believe it or not the general visibility is much better than the LS. I drive it mostly around Santa Monica and occasionally to the office; it's smaller and easier to park. And I know nobody will mess with it.

Compared to this driving the LS feels piloting the space shuttle; the Nav, the laser cruise makes you think it could go to the moon with no problem. It's far more comfortable (the AC in the Benz died long ago), faster and much quieter. It's definitely the car to slog out LA traffic in.

The Lex keeps me happy; the Benz keeps me honest.

Carson Toyota wants $600+ for a new actuator. Really? for a $10 motor that died?

I'm going to try to replace the motor; some people here have actually ordered the eBay motors and then scavenged them for parts. I'll post photos if I'm successful. Thanks for the tip!

YEP, that high dollar quote turned me off... way off.. so we yanked that(driver door) sucker out to replace it with one I found at a salvage yard (right rear)and it would not work, it was reversed, so we checked my motor and to our surprise, it worked, that caused us to look further and we saw the blackened contacts, cleaned them off, put it back together, and it worked and is still working... it was over 10 years old, so I am thinking we might have to do it again in 2020, HA, I am joking, I am 76 now, anyway good luck on yours...

post-5365-082888200 1287588419_thumb.jpg

Well 90, I got a good laugh from your comment about going from the 240D to the 400 and change in power. My truck is a 4 cyl, 5 speed, not much HP in my truck. Then I get in the LS and you know what happens at that time. Unlike you, I still stuggle with my restraint when driving my LS400 because it is so much fun. Yeah, it is old, 21 years now, but still drives just great. I figure in another 4 years I can put antique plates on it for $52. No renewels, they are good forever and then there is no inspection either. Only rule, you can't use it for work or drive it to work, casual use and maintenance runs. Got that covered, casual use only. They just don't know my definition of "casual."