Hid Foglights

I'm thinking of installing HIDs for my foglights in my 07 RX350. Has anyone done this and if so, do you get a bulb out indicator due to dropping the wattage output from 55 to 35?

Thanks

You won't get any warning lights. The "bulb out" indicator only applies to the rear lights.

You'll need to get a good kit, which includes a pair of ballasts and bulbs. I would make sure the bulbs are of a high quality as there are MANY out there that are JUNK. The factory HID bulbs in the Rx are Philips D2S 4300k (85122 or 85122+), which are the best out there. The color will also match. If you go with other bulbs, you'll have a color match issue.

Also be aware that installing HID bulbs in halogen reflectors will cause tremendous glare, as HID bulbs have a different focal point than halogen bulbs... You also won't get as much light on the road...

• 3 months later...

As cduluk said in the post in this thread just before yours:

"Also be aware that installing HID bulbs in halogen reflectors will cause tremendous glare, as HID bulbs have a different focal point than halogen bulbs... You also won't get as much light on the road..."

If you just want a color match and don't care if your fog lights are actually useful, just get some of those cheezy blue coated halogen bulbs and spare your fellow road users the pain of HID bulbs in fog lights meant for halogen bulbs.

I'm only half kidding when I say that I'm thinking about carrying a ball peen hammer to use on headlights and fog lights that have HID kits in them. People who put HID kits in light units made for halogen don't seem to give a !Removed! for the comfort and safety of others on the road.

Unfortunately there isn't a single halogen replacement bulb that will give you a color that even resembles the factory HID look. Most halogen bulbs that claim to look like HID's use tinted glass which just looks like CRAP when lit. And they don't last very long either.

You "could" install a kit in the fog lights but they'll be blinding to oncoming drivers...

If you want to do so, make sure the HID bulbs are good ones. You should use the same ones in the factory low beams. Philips D2S/D2R 4300k (size D2S is part number 85122 or 85122+). D2S are designed for projectors and D2R are designed for reflectors. BUT... only if the manufacturers keep this in mind when making the reflector. Since the fog light reflectors aren't designed with a D2R in mind, i would go with D2S.

• 1 year later...