Help Adjusting Hid Lights Rx400H

Hi everyone I have a 2007 RX 400H that I just purchased. I like the intensity of the light but as Im driving it seems the lights are pointed down too low. Cant really see far ahead. Is there an easy way to adust these a little higher? I do have the HID option. Thanks a lot

Do you notice the lights moving at all? Do you have the AFS system? I think that even if you don't have the AFS system (the lights that turn when you turn), the HID lights should still move up and down depending on the angle of the vehicle. For example, when I pull into my driveway, which is slightly uphill, I notice the headlights moving down slightly to keep the lights from pointing too high. At the rear of the vehicle is a sensor that measures the angle of the vehicle, that then causes the lights to move up or down depending on the angle. This sensor is know to fail occasionally, but usually the AFS light lights up on the dash to indicate a problem.

Do you notice the lights moving at all? Do you have the AFS system? I think that even if you don't have the AFS system (the lights that turn when you turn), the HID lights should still move up and down depending on the angle of the vehicle. For example, when I pull into my driveway, which is slightly uphill, I notice the headlights moving down slightly to keep the lights from pointing too high. At the rear of the vehicle is a sensor that measures the angle of the vehicle, that then causes the lights to move up or down depending on the angle. This sensor is know to fail occasionally, but usually the AFS light lights up on the dash to indicate a problem.

Yes I do have the afs. I do notice the lights moving when I am driving and turning, its just the headlights don't seem to shine very far ahead.

There are adjustment screws behind the headlights that will allow the default level of the beam to rise. Turning the screws left and right will adjust the level up and down. Take a peak behind the headlights and find the philips screw.

The low beam height can be adjusted with a philips screwdriver, by turning the adjusting knobs just inside of the yellow warning label on top of each light. The auto-leveling feature only adjusts the height if the rear suspension travels up or down from a load in the back; it's not due to the vehicle's angle.

The low beam height can be adjusted with a philips screwdriver, by turning the adjusting knobs just inside of the yellow warning label on top of each light. The auto-leveling feature only adjusts the height if the rear suspension travels up or down from a load in the back; it's not due to the vehicle's angle.

The system moves the headlights up or down while driving based on the vehicle's 'posture'. You can quite plainly see this if you drive the vehicle on any sort of hilly road, or brake suddenly so the nose (hence the ANGLE of the vehicle) dives, or as I said, pull into an uphill driveway and watch the headlights on the garage door and see them move down.

It is not simply a system that moves the headlights up if the back of the vehicle is low due to cargo. The system actively monitors and moves the headlights as the vehicle is driven on the road, so yes it depends on the vehicle's angle. If you are driving up a hill, the angle at the front is high, causing the rear of the vehicle to lower. The sensor picks this up and moves the headlights downwards.

I have a shop manual that explains this system and includes diagrams showing how it works. Here are a few quotes from the shop manual that may make it clearer - the most important one first..

"The automatic headlight beam control system regulates the orientation of the reflectors of the headlights in relation to the posture of the vehicle that has been detected by the sensor. Thus, it is a system that maintains the headlight beams to a constant level WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN."

"The rear height sensor detects the amount of variance of the vehicle height WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN, and output this amount in the form of signals to the AFS ECU/headlight beam level control ECU"

"Based on the signals received from the AFS ECU (models with Intelligent AFS) / headlight beam level control ECU (mdoels without Intelligent AFS), each acuator moves the reflector in the headlight to vary it's beam."

"The AFS ECU (models with Intelligent AFS) / headlight beam level control (models without Intelligent AFS) is input the vehicle speed signal from the skid control ECU and the posture change signal of the vehicle from the height control sensor. Based on these signals, the AFS ECU / headlight beam control ECU calculates the VEHICLE'S PITCH ANGLE and controls the actuator in accordance with that chagne amount, and operates the reflector of the headlight."

The fancy diagrams that show the vehicle's "posture change" as it drives down the road are in the shop manual following the descriptions I just gave.

So, no, the system does not just adjust the height if the rear suspension travels up or down from a load in the back, and yes, it does change due to the vehicle's angle.

Yea Lemon has this dead on. My driveway is also up a slight hill and I can see the lights drop. Also there is a up hill and then a dip entering my development and it is kind of cool to watch the lights go up and down while going up and down the hill.

Thanks for the clarification - I assumed it worked the same way as the Gen 2 Prius, which I believe is only from rear suspension travel (it does not have AFS).

Thanks everyone for the great info. I managed to adjust my headlights a little better than they were when I purchased the truck by turning the phillips screws. However I do notice that the right side headlight seems to shine a bit higher and more to the side (lighting up the side of the road) than the drivers side. Doesnt look the the beam pattern is straight across? Looks like a stair effect if that makes sense? Is this right or are they out of adjustment? Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I managed to adjust my headlights a little better than they were when I purchased the truck by turning the phillips screws. However I do notice that the right side headlight seems to shine a bit higher and more to the side (lighting up the side of the road) than the drivers side. Doesnt look the the beam pattern is straight across? Looks like a stair effect if that makes sense? Is this right or are they out of adjustment? Thanks everyone.

That's normal. I think it's designed this way to not blind other drivers.

That's normal. I think it's designed this way to not blind other drivers.

I had a look at my headlights and noticed a warning sticker that adjusting the vertical screw would also adjust the horizontal aim, and to follow the directions in the owner's manual. On page 594 of my manual there are very specific directions. In fact there are two things to do.

1. Turn the Phillips-head screwdriver to either direction in order to turn the vertical movement adjusting SCREW. Remember the number of times you turn the screwdriver and the turning direction. (this is the screw on the black plastic arm thing)

2. When turning the vetical movement adjusting BOLT, turn the Phillips-head screwdriver to the same direction as step 1. To calculate the correct number of turns, multiply the number of times you turned the screwdriver in step 1 by 1.25. Turn the screwdriver this amount.

(this bolt is tucked way into the fender - on my hybrid I had to remove both engine covers to see this bolt)

So, if you now notice the right side higher and more to the side, you may not have done the procedure as laid out in the manual. It sounds like the 2nd step is somewhat important.

I had a look at my headlights and noticed a warning sticker that adjusting the vertical screw would also adjust the horizontal aim, and to follow the directions in the owner's manual. On page 594 of my manual there are very specific directions. In fact there are two things to do.

1. Turn the Phillips-head screwdriver to either direction in order to turn the vertical movement adjusting SCREW. Remember the number of times you turn the screwdriver and the turning direction. (this is the screw on the black plastic arm thing)

2. When turning the vetical movement adjusting BOLT, turn the Phillips-head screwdriver to the same direction as step 1. To calculate the correct number of turns, multiply the number of times you turned the screwdriver in step 1 by 1.25. Turn the screwdriver this amount.

(this bolt is tucked way into the fender - on my hybrid I had to remove both engine covers to see this bolt)

So, if you now notice the right side higher and more to the side, you may not have done the procedure as laid out in the manual. It sounds like the 2nd step is somewhat important.

Thanks for the info. I tried that also and it seems like the headlight on the left steps up to the right and the right headlight seems to step up to the right as well. Its weird but Im thinking its that way to prevent oncoming traffic from being blinded as posted earlier. Not sure. I dont know if taking it to the dealer will do anything? How do they adjust them?

The stair effect (called steps) is totally normal, its designed that way. It provides more light directly in your lane and less in the oncoming lane to prevent blinding of oncoming drivers.

The tops of the steps (each beam produces the same pattern) should be at the same level.

Go to this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66226

as i posted some diagrams of how the headlights should be aligned.

Thanks for the help. So the right side of the road should be lit up more than the left? When Im driving down a dark street you can tell the left side of the road isnt as illuminated as the right side. Is this intentional?

Thanks for the help. So the right side of the road should be lit up more than the left? When Im driving down a dark street you can tell the left side of the road isnt as illuminated as the right side. Is this intentional?

Yes to keep from blinding oncoming trafic. It is normal.