So Long, It's Been Good To Know You

I found a lot to like about my 2006 IS350, despite the fact that the service department at Lexus of Northborough managed to put the rear wheels on the front front of the car while doing rotations on two separate service visits.

But I had issues: 1, suspension too soft and steering feel completely opaque; 2, overly intrusive skid and traction control; 3, inability to get up my steep driveway in the winter, despite a 17" wheel and Blizzak setup; 4, headaches with the TPMS every time I switched back and forth between winter summer wheels.

So this spring I traded up for a 2010 Audi S4. It's in a different league, which I suppose it should be for the added price, and I am one totally satisfied customer. Maybe things will be different when the warranty and prepaid service run out, but even if it ends up costing more to keep running it will be worth it. Just about every single thing is better. Way faster, way better handling at speed plus better ability to soak up bumps, the dual-clutch S-tronic is fantastic, the seats are more comfortable for long rides and the B&O audio is the best I've had in a car.

If Lexus offered an IS350 with AWD I might not have have arrived at this decision, but they don't and I did and I have no regrets!

I found a lot to like about my 2006 IS350, despite the fact that the service department at Lexus of Northborough managed to put the rear wheels on the front front of the car while doing rotations on two separate service visits.

But I had issues: 1, suspension too soft and steering feel completely opaque; 2, overly intrusive skid and traction control; 3, inability to get up my steep driveway in the winter, despite a 17" wheel and Blizzak setup; 4, headaches with the TPMS every time I switched back and forth between winter summer wheels.

So this spring I traded up for a 2010 Audi S4. It's in a different league, which I suppose it should be for the added price, and I am one totally satisfied customer. Maybe things will be different when the warranty and prepaid service run out, but even if it ends up costing more to keep running it will be worth it. Just about every single thing is better. Way faster, way better handling at speed plus better ability to soak up bumps, the dual-clutch S-tronic is fantastic, the seats are more comfortable for long rides and the B&O audio is the best I've had in a car.

If Lexus offered an IS350 with AWD I might not have have arrived at this decision, but they don't and I did and I have no regrets!

Enjoy your new car.

The 2011 IS350 AWD doesn't count? :whistles: Enjoy your new ride!

Too late! I'm guessing I would still prefer the Audi, but my old IS350 gave up very little on the luxury side compared to the more expensive Audi. Hopefully Lexus updated their Nav/music system since I bought mine in '06. My car had only one aux channel that could be used for satellite OR iPod. Mine came with XM radio installed and there was no way to hook up my iPod. The Audi system lets me have both, the iPod interface is good and there's a dedicated connector and pouch for the iPod in the glove box. Also, the nav system syncs with my mobile phone (Verizon, Samsung Omnia) automatically and updates the contact list so I can dial people up with a voice command and tell the system to navigate to the address if I've included one in the contact.

One more thing I didn't like about the Lexus: inputs from the paddles to the transmission were more of a suggestion than a command. It was very slow to respond and sometime overruled me when my choice clearly wasn't going to trash the transmssion. The Audi S-tronic dual clutch responds immediately to paddle inputs and it does that even if the shift lever isn't pushed over into manual mode. Also like the rev-matched throttle blips with the downshifts in the Audi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...