Auto Sound Levelizer (asl)

byohzrd

My 2000 ES has the ASL feature on the radio, which supposedly adjusts the volume according to wind noise, road noise, etc. It seems to have a mind of its own. I've kept the volume knob in the same position, and have had the same CD playing. Some days the volume is low, with muted bass and treble... it doesn't matter how much wind or road noise there is. If I turn the stereo off, it seems to reset itself and the volume goes back to normal. Has anyone noticed this on their car? I'm very picky about sound systems, and this doesn't seem normal. Is this something the dealer would fix under warranty? How would I go about explaining the problem without them thinking I am nuts? Maybe I am nuts. Any suggestions?

I thought that the ASL feature changed the radio volume dependent on the speed of your car and had nothing to do with the amount of wind or road noise. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :blink:

After doing some research about ASL I found that some units do this:

quote: "ASL" (auto-sound-levelizer) detects and compensates for changes in external noise levels, adjusting volume and tone controls in response to the nature of the external noise (tunnel, rain, road surface changes).

So at this point I wonder if the Lexus radio's do the same thing??? :wacko:

ASL was offered on the ES beginning with the 2000 model. It is only available on the Pioneer unit, and unlike some other Lexus models, there is no ASL button to turn the feature on or off. I am pretty sure it adjusts based on the noise level, because if I crack a window or open the sunroof, the additional wind noise causes the volume to increase.

If it is a problem with the amplifier or head unit, would this be something covered under warranty? I don't know how to proceed, as the problem isn't something that I can reproduce, and it only occurs occasionally.

The amplifier would be covered under warranty. Have you had it since new? Because Lexus' warranty is 4 years 50k you should get it in quick.

For some reason the Nakamichi units never had ASL, but the Mark Levinson's did. Thats one of the main reasons Lexus switched, Nakamichi was very specific in what they would allow on the stereo, no ASL, no DSP, no RDS, no navigation system.

While going through the dealer settings screen on my ML NAV, I noticed a microphone test mode.

How do you get to that screen? Is it on the NAV screen? Is it possible for the car owner to do this without having to go to a dealer?

• 1 year later...