Hid Install Issues

JK GX470

Hello,

I'm new to this club as I just purchased a used 2004 GX470. Love the car! The driver side low beam was burned out when I bought it so I decided to upgrade to HIDs. I bought the H11 6000K conversion kit from DDM tuning and am having some issues.

1) The driver side is still out. I think I connected the wiring backwards and might have blown the HID light. The passenger side works great. Can you blow the HID by having the wiring backwards?

2) My fog lights don't work now. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse during/after installation of the HIDs...I'm checking tonight to make sure.

3) General question - do I need the error code eliminator as part of the assembly/install?

4) The hook up to the existing H11 plug requires 2 pins to be inserted then I needed to put electrical tape around to secure (vs. other connections that have plug and play). Is this typical?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

I'm new to this club as I just purchased a used 2004 GX470. Love the car! The driver side low beam was burned out when I bought it so I decided to upgrade to HIDs. I bought the H11 6000K conversion kit from DDM tuning and am having some issues.

1) The driver side is still out. I think I connected the wiring backwards and might have blown the HID light. The passenger side works great. Can you blow the HID by having the wiring backwards?

2) My fog lights don't work now. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse during/after installation of the HIDs...I'm checking tonight to make sure.

3) General question - do I need the error code eliminator as part of the assembly/install?

4) The hook up to the existing H11 plug requires 2 pins to be inserted then I needed to put electrical tape around to secure (vs. other connections that have plug and play). Is this typical?

Thanks,

John

1. After you installed the HID kid, did the drivers side EVER work? You say the drivers side is "still out"- but i'm not sure if it worked for a while and is now out or if you were never able to get the drivers side HID to work. If the drivers side low beam light was out before you installed the HID and is STILL out, the problem might not have been with the halogen bulb or the new HID bulb, but with the factory wiring. But if you got the drivers side HID to work at any moment... then i don't know...

2. Your fog lights wont work unless the car can sense that both the low beam lights are working. If one low beam light is broken, the car wont let the fog lights come on.

3. You shouldn't need an error code fixer as there isn't a warning light sensor for the front headlights.

4. As long as you've got everything working (assuming you will) then the electrical tape method is fine. It's just to prevent water from touching the bare wires...

Hello,

Thanks,

John

1. After you installed the HID kid, did the drivers side EVER work? You say the drivers side is "still out"- but i'm not sure if it worked for a while and is now out or if you were never able to get the drivers side HID to work. If the drivers side low beam light was out before you installed the HID and is STILL out, the problem might not have been with the halogen bulb or the new HID bulb, but with the factory wiring. But if you got the drivers side HID to work at any moment... then i don't know...

2. Your fog lights wont work unless the car can sense that both the low beam lights are working. If one low beam light is broken, the car wont let the fog lights come on.

3. You shouldn't need an error code fixer as there isn't a warning light sensor for the front headlights.

4. As long as you've got everything working (assuming you will) then the electrical tape method is fine. It's just to prevent water from touching the bare wires...

Thanks CD. The driver light was out before I tried to install the HIDs, so I'm going to try to reinstall new HIDs and if they still don't work, you're right - might be bad wiring.

Fog lights make sense.

If I have an error code included in the assembly, that won't hurt anything right? It should function the same with or without.

I actually bought H11 male housings on ebay, so I'll be able to insert the loose pins in the housing and make it plug and play. (see link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400110089833&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=8ae4757812a0a02652f498b4ffc96828&rvr_id=149668392290&ua=WXS%3F&itemid=400110089833

Thanks again.

Sounds good, just make sure you get the + and - wires matched up to the ballasts.

I'm almost 99% sure you couldn't get an "error code" for this, but if you were to, it wouldn't do any harm. On my last car, the Rx300, i replaced the rear taillight bulbs with LED's and got the error light on my dash (because LED's draw less current than bulbs do, so the computer thought i had bulbs out). I "could" have installed load resistors for each, but they'd create WAY too much heat and they're hard to fit and heat-sink properly. So, i just removed the bulb in the gauge cluster! It worked just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Get them professionally installed by a car stereo place! Also get the slim ballast so they wont flicker! I got 8000k HID installed in my car but got the regular ballast and in the beggining they flicker but when you get some hours through them they stop flickering.

The fact that the ballasts are "slim" doesn't mean anything. Most aftermarket ballasts are junk, it's a crap shoot...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have GX470 05 I try to install hid lights kit h11 6000k I can't get them to come on can someone help me

The positive and negative on the ballast (or wiring harness if you are using one) is opposite from the car's connector. In other words, the connector for the ballast to the car is suppose to snug fit only one way (where the tab will lock). I encountered this problem in my GX but tried it backwards and it works. Now since you have to install it backwards and the tabs don't lock, this is when you have to improvise. There are two options.

1st option: IF you are using a wiring harness, if you can take out the two metal prongs just go ahead and install them the other way.

2nd option: Make your own connector and make sure you get the positive and negative inserted in a way that the two connectors (from harness and to the car) to lock in the locking tabs and that the polarity is correct.