Gs400/430 Mod

I have a project in mind and would like to get some comments/advice/thoughts on it from other people. I currently own a 2006 GS300 AWD and whilst at times I love it, at others I hate it, specifically when it develops a rattle somewhere in the interior. Before I bought I test drove a 2004 GS430 and liked it but it hadn't been looked after very well and my head and my wife persuaded me to get the later, and much prettier (red with tan interior), GS300.

So, I am thinking about a project car that goes a bit like this:-

Obtain a 98/02 GS400/430 with all the factory options for as low a price as possible, don't care how many miles on it.

Upgrade and rebuild suspension and brakes.

Have the engine rebuilt and turbo/supercharged to obtain around 400bhp.

Install a slick changing 6 speed manual gearbox.

Install state of the art head unit.

Re-upholster interior (depending on existing interior condition)

Re-paint exterior if there is anything left in the budget.

I doubt I will attempt any of this myself, I just don't have the time. We have a couple of decent performance shops locally so I would probably give it to them and let them get on with it.

pick a year range as 98-00 or 01-05 are not the same for build or power .

A 6 speed is a waste of money , might as well get a 300 if you want that route as well as the same thing for forced induction . You are starting with the wrong car .

Even with a 300 to do the swap and build to reliability you are looking at 15K .

pick a year range as 98-00 or 01-05 are not the same for build or power .

A 6 speed is a waste of money , might as well get a 300 if you want that route as well as the same thing for forced induction . You are starting with the wrong car .

Even with a 300 to do the swap and build to reliability you are looking at 15K .

So which are the better build, 98-00 or 01-05?

The 15K sounds a little light, I was allowing 20-25K.

6 speed is a waste of money? Don't agree on that one. I know that Lexus automatics are good, for an automatic, but for me that's the point, it's an automatic. I prefer to change the gears myself, I find it an integral part of whole driving experience.

Did the 300 come with a manual gearbox?

• 2 weeks later...

The stock intake system from Lexus has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine. This is the first ever High Flow Air Intake for the Lexus GS400/430. Move over X3, you have a new competitor in the small compact SUV world. Join RoadflyTV as host Jessi Lang and correspondent Steve Hammes review the 2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350.

• 1 month later...

I have a project in mind and would like to get some comments/advice/thoughts on it from other people. I currently own a 2006 GS300 AWD and whilst at times I love it, at others I hate it, specifically when it develops a rattle somewhere in the interior. Before I bought I test drove a 2004 GS430 and liked it but it hadn't been looked after very well and my head and my wife persuaded me to get the later, and much prettier (red with tan interior), GS300.

So, I am thinking about a project car that goes a bit like this:-

Obtain a 98/02 GS400/430 with all the factory options for as low a price as possible, don't care how many miles on it.

Upgrade and rebuild suspension and brakes.

Have the engine rebuilt and turbo/supercharged to obtain around 400bhp.

Install a slick changing 6 speed manual gearbox.

Install state of the art head unit.

Re-upholster interior (depending on existing interior condition)

Re-paint exterior if there is anything left in the budget.

I doubt I will attempt any of this myself, I just don't have the time. We have a couple of decent performance shops locally so I would probably give it to them and let them get on with it.

Wow...I guess I am not the only one who has contemplated swapping a bunch of things around on one of these cars. I have thought about just stuffing a LS6 Corvette engine in there with the Borg Warner 6 speed...it has a 1:1 6th gear making it brutally fuel efficient. And they make 3 wire harnesses for the fuel injection system. Just wonder how the rest of the LExus runnign gear would appreciate all that. lol.....best to just gut it totally and transplant it all. Have fun with this and keep us posted

I think you'd be better off to buy a used AMG Mercedes, or M-series BMW. It sounds like you want a hardcore performance machine, and the GS is more of a touring car.

A touring car that's hobbled by a terrible front suspension design from the factory.

Never underestimate the power of a project to cost twice as much as you thought, and take four times as long.