Looked At A 99 Ls Today. Your Thoughts

ED.

There is a guy in town selling a 1999 LS. White with tan (the color combination I've always wanted) as well as the Nakamichi sound system. Only thing it has that I don't like is the gold package but I can take care of that later.

He wants $8900 and Edmund is giving me a number more like $6,xxx. Miles are 145,000 and shape is decent. Front headlights are murky so I am thinking accident. I have the vin number but I am going to call him tomorrow morning and request he do the vin check since my father doesn't have any free ones left from Carfax.

I was going to offer $6500 once I get the word on the carfax. He wants to get an RX for his wife and new baby. I would be selling my BMW for this one.

I also went and looked at a 2002 LS at the dealer. Had some issues but drove very nice. Double-pane windows were cool and it had the just below Ultra Luxury package. I am leaning towards the 99 though. Try and save some car payment money and put it towards school.

Thanks for the help. Ed

It's hard to say what a fair price would be. I haven't checked recently but I'm guessing my 00 LS Platinum Series with the Nak package might bring around $7,000 here in the Kansas City area. It has 128,000 miles, fully up to date on maintenance and looks darn near perfect.

The headlight lenses can usually be restored. Mine looked at least as bad as Blake's before I restored them: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53683&st=0&p=344940&hl=%20headlight&fromsearch=1entry344940

Here in the Dallas Texas area, I bought both of my 99's for 6500. many are asking for more, but I just waited.. my last one a few weeks ago wanted 7900. but he took 6500 cash. the mileage was 141 & 161. on them...

I also bought a 2000 for my sister-in-law for 10,000. this was about 9 months ago, but it had only 70k on it.

post-5365-12861144827_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I am hoping to get him down a bit. Have a friend running a CF for me and once I review that I will give him a call. I may offer like 7500 then go into detail into any problems that I see and lower it from there. I'd like to get $5000 for my BMW so a small loan would be nice.

I'll keep you all updated!

Thanks guys. I am hoping to get him down a bit. Have a friend running a CF for me and once I review that I will give him a call. I may offer like 7500 then go into detail into any problems that I see and lower it from there. I'd like to get $5000 for my BMW so a small loan would be nice.

I'll keep you all updated!

Ed, did you see this?99 Lexus LS400 - $5700 (Terre Haute)

Just my opinion, but I'd pay a little more for a well cared for and documented example. You certainly don't want one that you're going chase problems (and throw money at). It's an 11 year old car at this point, so there's plenty that could be wrong with it. But knowing that there are some things that will probably need to be addressed, like suspension parts, motor mounts, fluids, and so on, then you could have a really nice car that will last you years. I have a 99 and enjoy mine very much. So far, I've reconditioned the seats, used scratch X to take out numerous scratches (which I'm still doing), changed the power steering fluid by pumping and refilling every day or so and a couple oil changes. Not difficult work, some of it is a little time consuming. I overpaid for mine... Sigh. But, I'm happy with it.

Good luck - be patient! A good one will turn up soon.

Micah

I agree with Micah.Berry. If you find a well-maintained car, its worth some extra $. And keep in mind that Edmunds is a low ball quote. Kelly blue book will put it more in line.

You can find a "bargain" with little or no maintenance records, then pump some serious money in it getting it up to your standards. All while you could have used the extra money to find a really clean car without all the headache to follow.

When you get down to the older cars, the Edmunds and Kelly appraisal is just a ball park. These cars will last a long time WITH the proper maintenance. Without, they can be a money pit where you may quickly wish you had spent a little more upfront on a nice example.

Hey Guys

Carfax came back clean on the 99 so I called him up and said I'd like to look it over again and make an offer. I also made an offer on the 2002 LS430 at the dealer. Not sure which package it has but I think it's the one before the air suspension and fridge in the back but it does have nav, Mark Lev, cooled seats, shades, distance control and all that. Plus the stone looking trim versus the wood.

Will report back later!

Case in point. Edmunds says this 92 LS is worth $3536. The final sale price won't even come remotely close to that. I wish I had more garage space. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Museum-Quality-1992-Lexus-LS-400-Only-22-981-Miles-/200527359244?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb05cad0c#ht_500wt_1182