P0440 Code

eugenez

Have you had you oil changed lately,or air filter replaced?

Check the air hose that comes off the back of the air filter box. It might not be connected further down. I had a RX300 and had the same codes + po446, and that was the answer for me. Good Luck.

Hi! I am new here. Anyways, have you checked your filters? Had the same problem then I realized that I was not able to replace my . if it is not the problem, maybe the air filter or your thermostat has the problem.

** Edited for content****

** Please do not post links to commercial websites as an advertiser. Thank you. ***

Moderator: Smooth 1

• 1 month later...

eugenez,

Where you able to resolve this problem, if so could you tell us what you replaced and the part number. I'm having the exact code pop-up on my 2000 ES too. Back in April thats when i got the first P0440 error code. I've reseted the code and it didn't came back until 4 months later. I purchase a new OEM gas cap and tried to look for vacuum leaks, but did not find any. So until now i'm still having this MIL light on with the TRAC off. I did attempt to remove the charcoal canister, but i back out on removing it because i did not want to damage any vacuum hoses without no replacement. I've also check the functionality of the 3 VSV by connecting a 9V battery with alligator clips, all 3 VSV have a clicking noise so it should be good. I'm close to buying a new charcoal canister but still waiting around if anybody have a definitive fix for this problem. I've checked a local mechanic and ask them how much they would charge to troubleshoot my car and they told me it would cost $180, so with that price i rather put that money towards a new canister.

eugenez,

Where you able to resolve this problem, if so could you tell us what you replaced and the part number. I'm having the exact code pop-up on my 2000 ES too. Back in April thats when i got the first P0440 error code. I've reseted the code and it didn't came back until 4 months later. I purchase a new OEM gas cap and tried to look for vacuum leaks, but did not find any. So until now i'm still having this MIL light on with the TRAC off. I did attempt to remove the charcoal canister, but i back out on removing it because i did not want to damage any vacuum hoses without no replacement. I've also check the functionality of the 3 VSV by connecting a 9V battery with alligator clips, all 3 VSV have a clicking noise so it should be good. I'm close to buying a new charcoal canister but still waiting around if anybody have a definitive fix for this problem. I've checked a local mechanic and ask them how much they would charge to troubleshoot my car and they told me it would cost $180, so with that price i rather put that money towards a new canister.

Lets try to stay on topic folks. When I get this code P0440, I would gas up and not over fill the tank. Then tight down gas cap and reset code. I do have the same problem like every 4 months P0440 comes back. Until I am sure that it is a big problem then I will buy a Canister at Sewell Lexus online and all stuff including the VSV valve. Price is $229.00 plus $10.00 shipping, but wait I was told by CarQuest will be authorized to carry this item and cheaper by this December 2010. In other post topic vacuum hoses are found to be crack or leaking.

eugenez,

The fact that a VSV makes a clicking noise when you power it, does not necessarily mean that it is functioning correctly. Regardless of the clicking sound, the plunger inside could be corroded and stuck, or the VSV may leak and not hold vacuum, rendering it inoperative, and causing the CEL code to be set.