'97 Nakamichi Repair: Suggested Repair Shops

JohnPHX

Gentlemen, recently I submitted a post about the issues I'm having with my Nakamichi head unit in my '97 LS400. Being no electronic buff myself, I still think this has to be an issue a knowledgeable technician could replace. That said, I'm asking for suggestions on where to send the unit to get fixed. Please share reviews of shops you've used. Who should I trust? How much did you pay? Who to avoid? Etc.

One guy suggested: Audio Video Service Stop 288 Washington Street, Weymouth, MASS 02188

What about: HI-Tech Electronic Services 7049 Valjean Ave. Van Nuys, CA 91406

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend trying any car stereo repair shop that says they can still repair Nakamichi. The biggest repairer of car stereos in the U.S. has stopped repairing Nakamichi due to OEM repair parts no longer available. New or reconditioned Nakamichi components are no longer available through Lexus dealers and Lexus corporate have washed it's hands of Nakamichi just like they have done with analog Lexus Link and all the pre-2004 phone systems.

I hope you are successful in getting your Nakamichi repaired. Please report back if you are or are not successful. I've resigned myself to buying used Nak components on eBay or installing an aftermarket stereo if my Nak ever fails again.

Try Factory Car Stereo Repair at carstereohelp(dot)com. They are in Florida.

A guy named Bob runs the place and he was fantastic to work with when I sent my Nak head unit in from my '95 LS400 back in May of 2008. He services all sorts of high end factory radios and amps and even has some DIY fixes with pictures posted on his site - lots of good tutorials on removal and diagnosing also. He treated me right and after bench testing my unit for a week, he didn't even charge me. I was having tuner issues, but all he did was open it up and inspect it. It's worked great ever since. Great communication too. Highly recommended - super knowledgable.

I'm in Montreal Canada so I dont think I can be of much help to you but I'm also having problems with Nakamichi in my 97 LS400. My CD player only plays on the left speakers but the FM works on all speakers. I brought my car to J.D. Audio and spoke to Dan who I think is the owner, he charged me 60$ just to remove the CD player from the glove box and he said he would send it somewhere to get it fixed. Its been 3 weeks now and still no news from him. I'm gonna call him on monday. Anyone else having the same problem?

Try Factory Car Stereo Repair at carstereohelp(dot)com. They are in Florida.

A guy named Bob runs the place ...

By all means email, or better yet, call Bob at car stereo help to see if they can help you. He also repaired my 00 LS Nak in early 2008 -- very nice and inexpensive transaction. I didn't think Bob repaired Nak anymore (read the following web page) but you might check with him: http://carstereohelp.com/lexusLS.htm