Center Console Ashtray Will Not Open

914lps

On the 91 LS 400 there is an ashtray at the bottom of the center console just under the stereo. You push in on it and it opens by kind of sliding out. Then you just push it in to close it. Inside is the ashtray and lighter. Mine is some how jammed shut. I did not do it, so I do not know just what happened. I had the car worked on and I know they removed the complete ashtray assembly (with the battery still conected). It is now closed. When you push in on it to open it nothing happens. It does not even push in a small amount to then slide open. I have tried to pull it open with out really pulling hard on it. No luck. Also it looks like the right side of the ashtray is not as pushed in as the left side. The ashtray is definitely cooked at an angel if you look carefully. I'm talking about the ashtray not the complete trim part when I say it is cocked at an angle. How can get this open? I have no way to power my cell phone charger, etc... Also now the back lighter plug for the back seat has no power ...

Any help will be appreciated.

The shop that did it is usless.... :chairshot:

If the wood face of the ashtray is not even with the surrounding wood, it sounds seriously screwed up.

You could remove the ashtray and take a look. These instructions from my favorite bracket company describe how: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-52-90.pdf The instructions say they are for a 90-97 LS400 but they are really for a 90-94 LS400.

What probably happened was that the ashtry came up out of it's holder and is blocking it from opening. I have had this area apart a couple times and will tell you that the people that took it apart probably screwed it up. In order to remove the center panel you need to remove the ashtray first which you obviously can't do. I'd probably try to work a long, flat, thin thing in and try to push the ashtray down. They probably got wire jammed underneath where the ashtry seats and you just might be able to push it down enough to open the thing. If not, my first thought would be to go back to those who caused the issue but if they are useless, that might make it worse. Try different tools until you get it open.

Follow the tutorial pictures 1 thru 4 then with a wide flat blade ease the ashtray assy out. ( no screws just spring clips hold it in place) Once removed you may be able to see the problem and repair it or find a replacement.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html

Not sure what an assay means but I think that means the ashtray assembly. The whole unit pulls out but you have to have the ashtray drawer open to pull it out. Since it sounds like the actual butt snuffing out tray has lifted up slightly and is blocking the drawer from opening. I think if you slide, maybe a putty knife or pie scooper out thing, in there you will be able to pull the butt tray down allowing the drawer to open.