If I Don't Disconnect The Battery, What Can Happen?

914lps

If someone works on my car without disconnecting the Battery what can happen? I found out that the shop working on my climate control system ans Stereo has not been disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuses. What can happen if you pull these units in and out with the battery conected?

They also worked on the window motors

Nothing will happen.

I've worked in car stereo for over a decade and have never disconnected a battery when doing installs, we were taught not to to keep from erasing the clock and radio memories as well as seat/steering wheel, anything that's preset.

Simply unplugging something doesn't do anything, if a wire was cut/chafed and exposed to metal you could possibly blow a fuse or ground out a control unit but that's unlikely in the case of just repairing/replacing components.

I agree with RDM. The repair manuals always tell you to disconnect the battery mainly for CYA purposes. I rarely disconnect my battery except for something where I absolutely do not want the motor turning over. Like starter removal, timing belt, etc. Could just see my wife coming out to take it for a spin to the grocery store while I have something under repair. :o

Just be careful about high current lines. If you are splicing into higher current lines and do an accidental short you can damage (minor melt insulation, major start a fire) wire harnesses. Fuse should protect wires but sometimes an owner replaces a fuse with a higher value one and then you're at risk....

I've done a few remote starer installs and always disconnect the negative battery post just in case Murphy shows up.