How Do You Remove The Front Door Panel On A 05 Es330?

MizzouGuy

This morning I get to work and my drivers side door won't open from the inside. I rolled down the window and could open it from the outside door handle. I'm guessing either something broke or came unattached to the inside door handle....it doesn't click or anything. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get the door panel off to look inside. Anyone help? thanks!

Miz,

This isn't as difficult as it sounds, and best of all, there's not much grease involved. It helps to get a body molding tool at harbor freight for a few bucks, but in a pinch you can use a screwdriver w/ tape on the end. I can tell you from experience though, the molding tool will not break nearly as many plastic pieces as the screwdriver, and works a lot better on push pins. Buy the tool first, you can always open the door by dropping the window.

First remove the door latch bezel. This is the plastic cup behind the door latch. Pry out this piece, pushing it rearward and lifting the tongue/latch after it's loose to pull the bezel forward and off. It's easy to break the clips on this piece (mine was already busted and glued in w/ some silicone). Next remove the piece of gray fabric deep in the armrest hand grab, remove screw. Pry off a plastic cap in the concave area of the the front of the door panel and remove the screw under it. There are two push pin clips on the back vertical edge of the panel -- push in the center w/ a pen or similar pointed instrument, then pry up the cap. The panel is now almost ready to remove, but first you should go along the bottom edge and pry the panel up, noticing a pop every time you losen one of the 4 clips. Now just lift from the bottom edge, the top should move off the door frame lip fairly easily. There'll be several connectors, one for the courtesy light, two for the door and window switches, then the panel is free. Peel off the plastic from the top and discover what lever is disconnected from what. Fix that and reassemble. It's a little tricky getting the top edge hooked back on but w/ some consideration you'll see how it's supposed to go.

Good luck.

LL

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I only figured out the first piece (the one behind the handle). I got it off and removed the screw behind it.

"Next remove the piece of gray fabric deep in the armrest hand grab, remove screw"---Not sure what gray fabric piece you are referring to? I don't have any fabric except on the bottom front, everything else is leather.

"Pry off a plastic cap in the concave area of the the front of the door panel and remove the screw under it"----Not sure what plastic cap in the concave area you are referring to here either??? I don't see anything that looks like a cap. How big of a cap are you talking about?

I think I can figure the rest out if you can point me in the right direction for the 2 steps above!

thanks again!

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I only figured out the first piece (the one behind the handle). I got it off and removed the screw behind it.

"Next remove the piece of gray fabric deep in the armrest hand grab, remove screw"---Not sure what gray fabric piece you are referring to? I don't have any fabric except on the bottom front, everything else is leather.

"Pry off a plastic cap in the concave area of the the front of the door panel and remove the screw under it"----Not sure what plastic cap in the concave area you are referring to here either??? I don't see anything that looks like a cap. How big of a cap are you talking about?

I think I can figure the rest out if you can point me in the right direction for the 2 steps above!

thanks again!

Miz,

The piece of fabric I refer to is more like a small oviod insert of material not unlike cheap carpet, it's about 4 inches long and 1 wide, and is often not there as it's not glued in. What's important, is that under that is a bolt that has to be taken off, as it holds the center section of the panel to the door frame.

The cap up front is about 1/2 inch in diameter and covers a screw that holds the front of the panel to the frame. Run your tape covered screw driver up the gap between front edge of the panel and frame pry out a little and you may find the resistance of that screw if it's there. (it was in my '94 and is in the diags in the FSM). Did they replace it w/ more door panel studs like on the bottom edge? Let us know.

LL

Finally removed the door panel, thanks again for the help.

Here are the updated instruction for the 2005 es330:

First remove the door latch bezel. This is the plastic cup behind the door latch. Pry out this piece, pushing it rearward and lifting the tongue/latch after it's loose to pull the bezel forward and off. Remove the screw once you get the bezel out.

Next, using a screwdriver....carefully pop the electric door lock/window control center out (the whole black piece that has the electric buttons for the windows and door locks). Remove the screw behind the controls.

Next, start pulling out on the bottom of the door panel...pull pretty hard it will pull away from the door. Once it is pulled away from the door, lift up and it should come right off. (you will have several places to disconnect if you need the door panel completely removed (electric control center, cables for the locks and door handles, etc...).

• 8 years later...