Oem Extended Warranty

Well it's about time to buy a couple of OEM extended warranties for our two RX400h's. Tomorrow is out last day. Can anyone give me their best/cheapest sources please? I know of Toby at Shreveport but am looking for others to compare/price match.

My question for you is:

Have you experienced numerous issues with your vehicles - issues that are harbingers of trouble to come?

I believe Consumer Reports advises against extended warrantees unless the above is true.

Our RX400h has been more than stellar; it's been perfect. I couldn't imagine getting my money's worth out of an extended warranty for THIS vehicle.

....the Corvette? Absolutely!

My question for you is:

Have you experienced numerous issues with your vehicles - issues that are harbingers of trouble to come?

I believe Consumer Reports advises against extended warrantees unless the above is true.

Our RX400h has been more than stellar; it's been perfect. I couldn't imagine getting my money's worth out of an extended warranty for THIS vehicle.

....the Corvette? Absolutely!

That's a fair question. And I do read Consumer Reports. I am simply a bit afraid of a major repair on a complex hybrid vehicle. I also had a rather bad experience with a previous LS400, that would have cost me a small fortune in out of warranty repair costs had I not purchased the extended warranty. It covered a water pump, power steering pump, steering rack, alternator, radiator, and things I have forgotten.

Also, make sure to get the extended warranty JUST before you hit 50k miles, not sooner. The warranty is valid x years from date of purchase. So you'd may as get it at the latest possible time so it lasts the longest <_<

Also, make sure to get the extended warranty JUST before you hit 50k miles, not sooner. The warranty is valid x years from date of purchase. So you'd may as get it at the latest possible time so it lasts the longest <_<

You are wise beyond your years, CD. In our case we spread out our miles between several vehicles so the RX400h's are both at 4 years and around 31K.

FYI I went with Toby at Shreveport Lexus. A great guy to work with and by far the best prices.

• 2 weeks later...

We called around. Best price for factory extended warranty was Toyota of Greenfield. sorry if it's too late for this to matter. If you get your best price, it'll be just under $1,900. That said, the factory extended warranty is based off when your vehicle is MANUFACTURED ... not date of purchase (new). That little tidbit can be several months difference ... and it'd be a shame if you were nearing the end of your extended warranty purchase time ... thinking it was from the date of purchase, and so you let the issue slide. It almost happened to us. The TSB relating to early production models had steering / alignment issues pulling to the right. The extended warranty paid for it and thus the extended warranty paid for itself, in one fell swoop. BTW .. it's not just 50K miles you need to keep your eye one. If your 400h is nearing its age, based on MANUFACTURE date ... it really doesn't matter if you only have 5 miles on it. So watch for BOTH

;)

Someone, I remember that you posted this a long time ago. I was curious as I thought that to be an odd interpretation by Lexus. I called all 6 Lexus dealers in my city and asked the question of each service manager. All 6 told me that the extended warrant is based off the purchase date, not manufacturer date. And I did successfully buy the warranties on the 4 year anniversary of their purchase date.

Tom

Someone, I remember that you posted this a long time ago. I was curious as I thought that to be an odd interpretation by Lexus. I called all 6 Lexus dealers in my city and asked the question of each service manager. All 6 told me that the extended warrant is based off the purchase date, not manufacturer date. And I did successfully buy the warranties on the 4 year anniversary of their purchase date.

Tom

Same here, they told me it starts on the vehicle's "in-service date". Mine happens to expire today. This info can be found on page 16 of the warranty booklet.

I also just turned 50 k on my RX400h and bought a 4 year 48K mile extension on a Premium Warranty from my Credit Union. Cost was $1022. That was less than half of what was available from Lexus and outside vendors. It's a $100 deductible per incident and if I don't use it I get over half back after 4 years. Check with your credit union.

My brother's last Mercedes Benz was a 550 he purchased a couple of years ago cost him $3,000.for the extended factory warranty. Would you believe that he used that warranty several times and the total saved was $14,000.00 He has a deductible for $100.00 The deductible just ran out and he traded the car for a new one in July.

My brother in law has several BMW's same story.

I purchased from Toby the Platinum 100,000/7 year no deductible. In a RX450H with all the electronics its a must. I think its good insurance and I saved 33% off retail.

If you peruse the CU annual buyers guide or annual auto issue, you will notice that Mercedes and some Audis, BMWs, and Volkswagens have horrible reliability ratings. So yes, it may very well be a good idea to buy extended warranties for some models of these vehicles.

However, take a look at the reliability ratings of the RX 330, 350, and 400h. You'll note that they have had excellent ratings. Thus, buying an extended warranty for any of these vehicles is most likely not a "good" bet. If it makes you feel better and you don't mind spending the >$1000 cost, well, that's your perogative.

To me, odds are that I will not save money in the long run by purchasing the extended warranty.

i did buy the warranty because it paid for itself many times over on my previous ford explorer. i did want the protection because the parts are expensive to repair. at the same time remember all of the hybrid components on the rx are covered by a 100,000 mile from the factory, 150,000 in california. so really there may be less of a need for the extended coverage on this car.