Timing Belt Change

Has anyone had their timing belt replaced by the dealer, and did the dealer replace the water pump at that time? I'm asking because I believe the water pump on the 400h is electric, and thus may not need to be replaced when the timing belt is done.

In a traditional ICE engine, when the timing belt is replaced 'usually' the water pump is replaced as well, whether it needs it or not, since it's right there at the time, and saves having to pay for labour again, if and when the water pump breaks.

A traditional water pump usually ends up with bad bearings and/or leaking seals, but I don't know if this would be the case with the electric water pump.

Has anyone had their timing belt replaced by the dealer, and did the dealer replace the water pump at that time? I'm asking because I believe the water pump on the 400h is electric, and thus may not need to be replaced when the timing belt is done.

In a traditional ICE engine, when the timing belt is replaced 'usually' the water pump is replaced as well, whether it needs it or not, since it's right there at the time, and saves having to pay for labour again, if and when the water pump breaks.

A traditional water pump usually ends up with bad bearings and/or leaking seals, but I don't know if this would be the case with the electric water pump.

Guess not to many people have had to replace their timing belts? If the cost is not much more you may want to go ahead and replace it. It is a good question though. Why not call your Lexus dealer and ask if they recommend replacing it when changing the timing belt? I am sure they would tell you that you should change it :) it may be worth a call.

Good luck Lemon maybe some others will chime in.

Thanks. I'm just over 140000km now. The maintenance schedule shows 144000km for replacement (90000miles - I can't believe no one on here has hit 90000miles yet!!). The water pump is not mentioned at all in the maintenance schedule, but it would be really frustrating to not have it done, then it fails, then I have to pay for all the same labour to get to water pump that I just paid for to have the timing belt done. This is why traditionally the water pump is usually replaced when the timing belt is done on a non-hybrid vehicle.

Thanks. I'm just over 140000km now. The maintenance schedule shows 144000km for replacement (90000miles - I can't believe no one on here has hit 90000miles yet!!). The water pump is not mentioned at all in the maintenance schedule, but it would be really frustrating to not have it done, then it fails, then I have to pay for all the same labour to get to water pump that I just paid for to have the timing belt done. This is why traditionally the water pump is usually replaced when the timing belt is done on a non-hybrid vehicle.

I am sure someone has hit 90k by now but they may not have done their belt yet. Do you know how much more it would be to change it? If you are using the dealer to do it ask them if you should or maybe call a reputable shop and see what they say. But for peace of mind if it is a little more change it.

It normally makes sense if the pump has to be removed. However, in some of the newer vehicles, this is not necessary. If you ask the service advisor how often he sees failed water pumps being replaced and he tells you "never", you have your answer as to whether you should have yours changed. Since the RX330 has the same engine and considering that RX has been around longer than the RX400h, Lexus service advisors should know whether the pumps can last much longer than 90,000 miles.

My son's Honda Civic has over 130,000 miles and is still on the original water pump.

It normally makes sense if the pump has to be removed. However, in some of the newer vehicles, this is not necessary. If you ask the service advisor how often he sees failed water pumps being replaced and he tells you "never", you have your answer as to whether you should have yours changed. Since the RX330 has the same engine and considering that RX has been around longer than the RX400h, Lexus service advisors should know whether the pumps can last much longer than 90,000 miles.

My son's Honda Civic has over 130,000 miles and is still on the original water pump.

A motor driven water pump as is in the hybrid should have a much lower failure rate than the belt driven in the RX330.

My mistake (and I apologize for any confusion I've caused), there is a traditional water pump for this engine driven by the timing belt. The electric pump that I'm thinking of (the auxiliary pump - see below) keeps the coolant circulating even when the engine if off (but the car is in READY mode) so that cabin heat can be maintained.

Just did a quick online part search...there is a water pump for $97.80 and an 'auxiliary water pump' for $482.18. There is also the water pump for the hybrid side of things (the one that pumps coolant through the inverter) that is $392. The inverter pump is electric for sure and isn't anywhere near the timing belt.

I had my belt done at 96K miles by my Toyota dealer. (Lexus dealer is too far away and expensive). The service manager dealt with me and tried to give Lexus service. I was very happy with it, by the way. Anyway, we talked about changing the water pump and he recommended against it on the first belt change. he said he expected it would go the the second, but he has never seen one fail so we didn't do it. We did do the brake fluid, however.

I believe the manual recommends a brake fluid change at about 30,000 miles. That's when I had ours changed.

That's good to know about the pump - thanks!

Called Toyota and Lexus dealers. $500 at Toyota vs $600 at Lexus. Toyota service guy said no problem working on Lexus vehicle. I guess the extra $100 pays for the ceramic mugs and fancy coffee vs Styrofoam cups and a keurig machine...lol

Well, you can go to Joe's garage and pay $100 less than you would at the Toyota dealership! Hey, this is what the average millionaire would do. It's all about saving your money so that you can retire at age 55. :cheers:

Actually, I have a really good independent mechanic who can work on any make, but Toyotas are his specialty. He's likely cheaper, and I've known him for years and more importantly I trust him. But, he's not a hybrid expert, and it would be nice to have the isc reset done after the battery is disconnected. I can do it myself, but just once it would be nice to have the official Toyota computer do it.

Is a Toyota dealer capable of changing the Lexus Personalized Settings? I don't like having my headlights stay on for one minute after I get out of the car.

when you hit the lock button twice, after leaving the car doesnt that shut off your lights?

It does! Thanks, I never knew about that! (I had to go try it after reading your reply)

• 1 month later...

I had my belt done at 96K miles by my Toyota dealer. (Lexus dealer is too far away and expensive). The service manager dealt with me and tried to give Lexus service. I was very happy with it, by the way. Anyway, we talked about changing the water pump and he recommended against it on the first belt change. he said he expected it would go the the second, but he has never seen one fail so we didn't do it. We did do the brake fluid, however.

I have a 2001 Lexus ES300. I had my timing belt changed at 90K. I asked about the water pump. He said that he could count the number of water pumps that have failed in all the years he's worked at that dealership (I've worked with him for 7 years) on one hand. So, i didn't get it changed. My water pump did fail. Then it failed again. On the 2nd failure, I did the reverse and went ahead and got my timing belt changed. The labor is the big cost, and that extended my next belt change out another 90K.

• 4 years later...

Called Toyota and Lexus dealers. $500 at Toyota vs $600 at Lexus. Toyota service guy said no problem working on Lexus vehicle. I guess the extra $100 pays for the ceramic mugs and fancy coffee vs Styrofoam cups and a keurig machine...lol

Man, I want to go to your dealer. I called the Toyota dealer and he quoted $911 for the timing belt change only. I called the Lexu$ dealer who quote "around $1100", which, from previous dealings, means about $1500. I guess we're a captive audience here in Boise because the next closest dealer is in Salt Lake City, Utah.....350 miles away. The Lexu$ dealership here is also a dump....I've been in used car lots that have nicer waiting areas for customers. There's a machine where you can buy coffee (nasty stuff) or snacks (machine takes money, often gives nothing). There probably a reason I see so few Lexus cars around here.

I would suggest getting your car serviced at a Toyota dealership or independent. The timing belt and water pump are not rocket science.

I definitely wasn't going to the Lexus dealer. The Toyota dealer and the independent are very close in price, but the dealer screwed me on a new Tundra I bought last year. Looks like the independent is getting my business.

Just make sure to use OE timing belt and water pump. If you are a friend of Ebay they have kits with Mitusoboshi, and Aisin water pump which are the original manufacturer of the parts. Maybe buy kit for less than $150 and give to independent.