Whining Torque Converter

drmull

I have a '99 with 190k miles. Started hearing a whining/buzzing sound a few days ago. Worse when cold, still there a little when warm. My mechanic gave a listen and said unfortunately it sounds like the TC is beginning to fail. He put a stethoscope to the bell housing. No problems with shifting or slipping...yet. Can the TC be replaced without replacing the entire tranny? What's the typical cost? Also, will an additive help at all?

I'm really bummed as this expense would be a big deal for me right now. Could it theoretically still work okay like this for quite a while? In other words, is this a catastrophic failure thing or does it just get worse over time until it becomes undrivable? Thanks for any help/experiences.

Update: No replies so I don't know if I can replace just the TC, but I found this one online. Looks like a good company?? Don't know the price yet.Torque converter for U140E transmission

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '99 with 190k miles. Started hearing a whining/buzzing sound a few days ago. Worse when cold, still there a little when warm. My mechanic gave a listen and said unfortunately it sounds like the TC is beginning to fail. He put a stethoscope to the bell housing. No problems with shifting or slipping...yet. Can the TC be replaced without replacing the entire tranny? What's the typical cost? Also, will an additive help at all?

I'm really bummed as this expense would be a big deal for me right now. Could it theoretically still work okay like this for quite a while? In other words, is this a catastrophic failure thing or does it just get worse over time until it becomes undrivable? Thanks for any help/experiences.

Update: No replies so I don't know if I can replace just the TC, but I found this one online. Looks like a good company?? Don't know the price yet.Torque converter for U140E transmission

You could try changing the fluid and filter in the transmission. This may help for a while but not a permanant fix. Unfortunatly, you may need to rebuild the transmission sometime down the road. I had the same problem and the fluid change with filter did work for a couple months.