Is The 1Uzfe Non-Interference?

LA1

Hello,

Is the 1uzfe is a non-interference engine? My 92 ls400 is due for its' second timing belt change but it got hailed out a couple months ago so I don't want to put any time or money into the car as I am planning on driving it another year or so until I get something else.

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I am sure it has) but I couldn't find anything with the search.

BTW Any idea what a 92 ls400 with ~240k and a salvage title from hail might be worth? It is in overall good shape except for a small rust spot about the size of a dime above one of the rear wheel wells. I have been working on the hail damage with a paintless dent hammer and it looks ok, not fixed but a lot better than before. I replaced the sunroof and windshield after the hail.

Thanks Steve, I didn't think that it was but I wanted to be sure.

92 ls, 250+ hail damage, salvage title..... opinion.. 1000.

if you are in an upper tax bracket, it might be worth more to give it to a charity group to reduce your taxes...

92 ls, 250+ hail damage, salvage title..... opinion.. 1000.

if you are in an upper tax bracket, it might be worth more to give it to a charity group to reduce your taxes...

Thanks for the input. I was thinking I might be able to get 1500 but wasn't sure. It was in good shape; the insurance adjuster thought it was an 02 until I told him otherwise. I was looking to trade it in and one corner lot dealer told me he thought it would bring 1200 if he sent it to auction (this was with a broken windshield and sunroof) but he was also trying to sell me an A4 Avant minus whatever it brought at auction.

I probably screwed up buying it back from the insurance company but I couldn't find anything satisfactory in my price range within their timeframe so I ended up keeping it. I came out okay considering I got 700 less than I paid for it, had it for six years, and put 100k on it; but in hindsight I really should have let it go (it has just been too good of a car though).

Good thought on the charity tax but I am certainly not in an upper tax bracket so that probably isn't an option.

• 3 weeks later...

My 90 is due for it's second timing belt change but it isn't happening for awhile. I think I'll be okay for awhile if not, then it breaks. I suspect it will last another 50K miles.

My 90 is at 205K...and long over due for a belt and pump job. Not that it is running poorly, just been a long time...

It kills me to do something to it when running so well...

Question: Anybody experience any surprises when they have this done on cars this old? Problems with putting the radiator back or needing to replace other stuff after dissassembly?

I know that there is (bearing) noise from my passenger side timing belt pulley. Anybody replace either one of those pulleys? any idea on extra cost?

Wonder how much I should expect to set aside just in case...its a great car, but at 20 years you worry that things won't go back together once they are apart! (Most mechanics scratch their head when they realize it's a 90).

-Bill

My 90 is due for it's second timing belt change but it isn't happening for awhile. I think I'll be okay for awhile if not, then it breaks. I suspect it will last another 50K miles.

My 90 is at 205K...and long over due for a belt and pump job. Not that it is running poorly, just been a long time...

It kills me to do something to it when running so well...

Question: Anybody experience any surprises when they have this done on cars this old? Problems with putting the radiator back or needing to replace other stuff after dissassembly?

I know that there is (bearing) noise from my passenger side timing belt pulley. Anybody replace either one of those pulleys? any idea on extra cost?

Wonder how much I should expect to set aside just in case...its a great car, but at 20 years you worry that things won't go back together once they are apart! (Most mechanics scratch their head when they realize it's a 90).

-Bill

The pulley making the noise is your tensioner pulley. About $70 for a new Toyota OEM pulley. Some of the biggest problems putting things back together are broken wires if they are brittle from age but really there should be no big problems with a seasoned mechanic. Some mechanics just forget to hook sensors or wires back up when reassembling. Not good, wont run. All in all, a new belt, pump, pulleys, tensioner will run you about $500 for OEM parts, $350 for aftermarket. Then labor, maybe $500-700 at an Indie and $1000-1500 at the dealer. Or DIY if you have the time, skill and patience.